Run Off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like its starting to go now. The water in Bullfrog Bay is beginning to change colors. Gone up 11 feet since March 14th.

Yesterday's inflow jumped to 64,000 acre feet from about 45,000 the previous few days. So yes, the runoff is well underway.

Cool weather here in Colorado is holding the snow on the mountains, and even adding a bit more in the extreme high country. The Upper Green has done most of the heavy lifting so far, but Navajo Lake is now full and they have begun releasing significantly more water down the San Juan. Looking at the snow in the headwaters of the Piedra/Pine/Animas Rivers there could be a lot more coming for the San Juan. The Colorado is still below average for this time of year, but a warming trend could turn that around in a hurry. This may be a runoff season that we remember for a long time.

Should be best LP inflow since 2011 with 51 foot rise. That is, presuming that USBR abides by last month's report limiting release to 9.0 maf.

I wouldn't say it has started roaring yet. It has started, for sure, but until we see the inflow go above 40,000 cfs, I still consider the run off to be in its early stages. There is still a ton of snow up in the mountains up here in Northern Utah. I tried to take my RZR up the canyon behind my house to see how far up I could go and I was surprised at how much snow we still have. The road was blocked at a much lower elevation than I expected. It just hasn't gotten warm enough yet. We might see a bump in the inflow this weekend with some warming temps, but it looks like next week the temps fall back down a bit again. I'm guessing that the peak runoff is still 2-3 weeks away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back