Rodents, mice, rats,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip

Rat guards, bounce sheets all work for short term but does anyone know the best way to keep mice off houseboats? When the water is rising like this they are more of a problem. jI have been going to Lake Powell since the 80's and rising water is the biggest culprit but I love it.lol Hope someone has a sure fire solution.

Offensive Smells to them anyway: Mice generally have poor eyesight and a good sense of smell so offensive smells can help keep them away. Dryer sheets and peppermint oil come to mind.
Physical Barriers: Rat guards and the like also can help.

Our technique on the houseboat was:
  1. A dryer sheet wrapped on each line.
  2. The boarding ramp only out far enough to serve as a step off/on the houseboat. It never touches the ground.
The only time we had a problem was with two very large rats that came onto the houseboat in the marina and showed us that a previous owner had left two bags of trash neatly stored up under the hull. That was very nice of them, the rats I mean. Being houseguests that were reluctant to leave, it did create a problem. Kinda like in-laws.
Below is an actual picture of me fending off one of the rats on our boat with a dryer sheet.
Giant Rat.jpg
Note: I am so proud of my wife for being brave enough to snap that picture in the heat of the moment.

Just remember how vulnerable you are to rodents while docked in the marina. I believe the biggest deterrent is keeping foodstuffs and trash in closed containers. Preferably separate ones, but then who am I to judge?

Oh, I did have a cute little mouse keep me company on a Sea Ray for a number of days. Cute little fella...don't know how or when he got there and don't know how or when he left.
Goblin

6 or 7 years ago I was camped at Stanton for a week and when I brought the boat to the Bullfrog ramp to pull it out, a pack rat ran across the front deck of the boat, jumped in the water and up under the dock. I drove back down from Evergreen Co. the next weekend to deploy bait traps in the boat & RV. They are nasty little critters. Sq

Hey Guys thanks for the very helpful comments, I never thought of funnels, great idea. I do know that bounce sheets work to a certain extent. I have some glue boards that work really well to catch on board critters if you are interested they are by Catch Master, Model #72TC. Hey and Goblin thanks for the picture of you in your battle dress.lol

There was a marina owner who had a cat on board. We used to ask him what the mouse count was every month. It was a lot! Like 42 one summer or more. He moved to a new dock so no protection now.

We had good luck with a bucket with some hot chocolate mix in the water, and a ramp for the mice to climb the bucket. Not as elegant as some of the traps, but very simple.

Thanks for your input all these work, never saw the bucket deal until I looked at video, that works!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back