Rock Creek Stripers - January

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reed

I left Wahweap Friday morning the 25th Of January and cruised to the back of Rock Creek. Found stripers hanging around 30 to 60 feet. Fishing was good caught about 20. I then went exploring to check out the low water level. Really crazy how the lake changes. I camped in the left fork in the back of Rock Creek. At 7:00 am Saturday morning it was on! I caught about 30 stripers in two hours. Caught all on a gold 3/4 oz. Cotton Cordell spoon. Most were healthy I probably dispatched 12 in the two days that were skinny. Many were coughing up small shad. I did get one almost 4lb very fat. I cruised up to the back of Weatheril and caught a few more on crank bait (sexy shad) I then stopped by Dungeon Canyon. Wow how low the water is.

A great January trip. I did not see another boat. I am always amazed at how little traffic there is in the winter. It really is not that cold. If you dress like you are going snowmobiling it is actually quite pleasant. I have a thermos full of hot lemonade that really helps keep me warm. The Lake was amazing. In all about 50 stripers. I came home with two 1 gallon Zip Loc bags full of filleted stripers. The grandkids will love them.

20190125_122619.jpg20190125_082917.jpg20190126_110457.jpg20190126_095737.jpg20190126_075452.jpg20190125_160128.jpg20190126_131503.jpg20190126_081241.jpg

Last edited:
I left Wahweap Friday morning the 25th Of January and cruised to the back of Rock Creek. Found stripers hanging around 30 to 60 feet. Fishing was good caught about 20. I then went exploring to check out the low water level. Really crazy how the lake changes. I camped in the left fork in the back of Rock Creek. At 7:00 am Saturday morning it was on! I caught about 30 stripers in two hours. Caught all on a gold 3/4 oz. Cotton Cordell spoon. Most were healthy I probably dispatched 12 in the two days that were skinny. Many were coughing up small shad. I did get one almost 4lb very fat. I cruised up to the back of Weatheril and caught a few more on crank bait (sexy shad) I then stopped by Dungeon Canyon. Wow how low the water is.

A great January trip. I did not see another boat. I am always amazed at how little traffic there is in the winter. It really is not that cold. If you dress like you are going snowmobiling it is actually quite pleasant. I have a thermos full of hot lemonade that really helps keep me warm. The Lake was amazing. In all about 50 stripers. I came home with two 1 gallon Zip Loc bags full of filleted stripers. The grandkids will love them.

View attachment 3861View attachment 3862View attachment 3863View attachment 3864View attachment 3865View attachment 3866View attachment 3867View attachment 3868
Come on Bob! Quit taking pictures when the graph is lit up like a Christmas Tree.

Just Kidding. Thanks for sharing and giving me the incentive to go up there next week.

You sir are SERIOUS about fishing, I love the rigging on that PWC...quite the setup!

I agree, with proper preparation, some of the best days on LP are in January, absolutely no one around for miles. Last Jan, spent 3 days near Mountain Sheep and Gunsight, saw a total of 3 boats (2 were NPS).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back