Rock Creek Canyon - question

Status
Not open for further replies.

David A Dexter

I've rented a 59 foot houseboat for the second week of May out of Wahweep. I will be towing two bass boats for the 6 fisherman. I've beached the houseboat the last two years out of Padre Bay, but I'm tired of the constant waves from the tourist boats blasting up to see Rainbow Bridge, which are problematic with our bass boats. You cannot leave the bass boats on shore because the waves will swamp them. We tied the boats securely last year to the 45 degree houseboat anchor ropes which worked really well, even in storms. However, this year, I'm planning to go up Rock Creek Canyon to look for suitable sites to beach the houseboat and bass boats, assuming that I can get far enough away from the main channel waves. Any guidance on where to beach and fish within Rock Creek? I've only fished the mouth, which was quite good. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks - Dex

I'd love to tell you, but that's where we are heading. At the same time as you. Seriously though there usually are some nice spots in Dry Rock Creek, and the main Rock Creek Canyons but of course the water level is the key. Even if the wind comes up there is usually a way to fish it. My only caution would be to be careful if you go towards Dungeon or Neanderthal and the wind comes up. It can be real spooky getting back into Rock Creek from the main channel. We will have 4 fishing boats around there somewhere on the 13th. Fishing from Rock Creek all the way to Last Chance can be good as well as the mouth of Friendship and the islands on the way to Dungeon. Neanderthal is an interesting trolling canyon as well. Good luck

In Rock Creek (Main) near the back there is a lot of sandy beaches which are usually quite popular. Getting a parking place that has no or little wind exposure is the key but it can also be tricky to find one. You also need to think about the wake boats in terms of the water disturbances they can cause. Again getting on the back side of an island or peninsula would be best. There are also some beaches in the back of Last Chance but it's a long pull to get there and find one...or not. That time of year the lake may have started coming up with the spring runoff Watch the daily water level chart before going.
Chuck

I've rented a 59 foot houseboat for the second week of May out of Wahweep. I will be towing two bass boats for the 6 fisherman. I've beached the houseboat the last two years out of Padre Bay, but I'm tired of the constant waves from the tourist boats blasting up to see Rainbow Bridge, which are problematic with our bass boats. You cannot leave the bass boats on shore because the waves will swamp them. We tied the boats securely last year to the 45 degree houseboat anchor ropes which worked really well, even in storms. However, this year, I'm planning to go up Rock Creek Canyon to look for suitable sites to beach the houseboat and bass boats, assuming that I can get far enough away from the main channel waves. Any guidance on where to beach and fish within Rock Creek? I've only fished the mouth, which was quite good. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks - Dex

We have stayed there and done a lot of fishing in and around Rock Creek. For our last trip there in August, we found several good spots, but the water was 10’ higher than it is now. We will be there April 24-May 2. I understand about the bass boat situation. I hate seeing mine get knocked around.

We will be up there end of April also. Last year parked houseboat in Rock Creek. A couple decent beaches we found were like quicksand so verify before you park the houseboat. Fishing is great right around houseboat. We ran bass boats up to Oak Bay and San Juan and fishing was great. Good news is Dangling Rope starts selling ice cream May 1. 😋

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back