Report from Jay Best - Wahweap Stripers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
We (me and 2 buddies from work) fished for stripers April 23rd through the morning of be 26th. We fished exclusively by the dam from just getting light till about 10:00 am then again 4:00 pm to dark.
We fished with a chartreuse 1/8 ounce jig head tipped with a 1 inch piece of frozen anchovie.
We boated 553 stripers with the largest being about 6 lbs. Most of the fish were fat and healthy and gave a good fight.
I normally will fish with 2 poles while bait fishing for stripers but the action was too fast to get the 2nd pole in the water.
We caught 20 or so smallies when we stopped at the exposed rocks on our way back to Wahweap.
We kept a few stripers to eat but could not handle all of them.

I normally fish north of Bullfrog, or in the San Juan, but I’m meeting some friends with a houseboat in Page at the end of the month. I hope we can duplicate your success.

We had a great week at the lake fishing was great fished Navajo canyon in the stain water caught small mouth and stripers at the point beyond the islands also fished bouy 3a along the wall one evening and picked up 40 in less then a hour. we fished along the walls of the dam area over 250 fish.... cant wait to get back ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back