Red Canyon

Status
Not open for further replies.

970-533-9898

Got there late, set-up Camp for a week of Fishing, Me & KoKo (Lab pup). Tuesday morning set out in Gambler Bass Boat and Hit Rock Shelf & about a mile later Engine Blew. Think that I sucked up Sand / Dirt / whatever & got to engine. Hole in Block and water / oil sprayed all over engine. Stuck in Red 'till Thursday, when saw my first Boat. Flagged them down & asked them to make calls for me when back to Bullfrog. Fished on Trolling Motor 'till friend rescued me Fri nite 10:30pm. Towed back to Halls (4hrs) Sat & Home. Fishing was really hard, talked to others at Dock & they had same luck. Weather was Perfect and still enjoyed my Favorite place on Earth! Steve

bought a Garmin In-reach Mini last year for security in situations as you describe , Good Hope is a lonely place in the off season. $13 a month to be able to text anywhere! bummer about motor! Some friends that fish powell allot and have had similar issue recommend getting ride to Bullfrog and get rental boat for towing back, insurance will cover the cost.

What motor is on your boat I ask because a friend of mine has lost two Merc s in two years

Bummer #9
I've had my share of misadventures at Powell after almost 40 years of chasing fish there. Blew up an Force outboard. Got towed back by a couple from Fla. I thought that was good news, till I was at the other end of a tow rope going 30 MPH ! I was glad to hit Bullfrog without flipping over !
Another great one. We blew a piston on another engine. We had to make it back to BF just over trolling speed from Knowles.
New Suzuki Four stroke now ! Runs like a race horse !
Best of luck ! Tight Lines !!!

Attachments

• IMG_1173.JPG
    IMG_1173.JPG
    775 KB · Views: 200
Several years back (I think it was about the time of Ruben Gardner's incident) I was fishing Powell in January. Once we left Bullfrog, we never saw another boat.

That was enough incentive for me to put a kicker on my Lund. And I just added one to my Ranger. 8 HP will make for a slow ride back to the marina, but at least I can be self sufficient. I have yet to need it, to get back, but that might just be luck as twice I've had engine trouble on the next trip after Powell.

Glad you made it back.

On one Powell trip with a bunch of people, we ended up towing one boat out to our camp spot, then they worked on it off and on all week, then we towed it back. It never did run, but it made a good barge. After a couple ocean salmon trips, I try to always have a kicker and an extra GPS. 10 ft visibility in fog will really mess with your peace of mind.

I am also curious about the motor. What would cause a hole in the cylinder wall? Overheat?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw your question. I believe that the Impeller or cooling tube got plugged, stopped water and heated engine. Blew Rod thru Block. Steve

What motor is on your boat I ask because a friend of mine has lost two Merc s in two years
While attending Mercury outboard shool in Oakland for certifications my instructor said that Mercury had a part in the engine for us mechanics, a ppos. I raised my hand and asked what a ppos was, he responded that is was a "plastic piece of *#@%". and we needed to know where it was. My respect for Mercury tanked at that point.

That's what happened to his also on one the other ended up being a compress for the fuel injection

While attending Mercury outboard shool in Oakland for certifications my instructor said that Mercury had a part in the engine for us mechanics, a ppos. I raised my hand and asked what a ppos was, he responded that is was a "plastic piece of *#@%". and we needed to know where it was. My respect for Mercury tanked at that point.
When was that? I put a new piston and all new rings in my 81 175hp in 2002 and don't remember anything plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back