Really cool Desert Bighorn Sheep encounter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice! I'm thinking that may be a unique bighorn sheep sighting since they were on the south side of the main channel on the Navajo Indian Reservation. That may indicate there are no domestic sheep and goats within several miles of Dungeon Canyon to transfer diseases to them. Also beats seeing burros and wild horses.

Last edited:
Gees they’re pretty habituated to humans aren’t they? I couldn’t see - was there a big ram in the back?

A friend and I were fishing near end of White Canyon a few years ago when a yew and lamb came down for a drink within 10 feet of our boat. They didn't stick around for long, and headed back up the rim. My family saw a group of males at the mouth of White Canyon the next year. They didn't let us get as close.

Very nice! I'm thinking that may be a unique bighorn sheep sighting since they were on the south side of the main channel on the Navajo Indian Reservation. That may indicate there are no domestic sheep and goats within several miles of Dungeon Canyon to transfer diseases to them. Also beats seeing burros and wild horses.

Bighorn Sheep are seen most often on the south shore of the lake in Dungeon, Wetherill and even in "Mountain Sheep" Canyon. On the north shore the common spots are Dangling Rope and Rock Creek.

Bighorn Sheep are seen most often on the south shore of the lake in Dungeon, Wetherill and even in "Mountain Sheep" Canyon. On the north shore the common spots are Dangling Rope and Rock Creek.

Very much so in Mountain Sheep. I found another one of their hangouts while searching for a campsite. It was covered in sign, and you could SMELL them big time.......we kept searching :cool:

Have seen them across the river from Petro Beach down on the river.
See hundreds of tracks on top of the ridge just west above Dangling Rope Marina (you can see them when you fly over :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back