Ranger 2050 Prop Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert B

Hello All

New user hear. I have recently upgraded my boat from a 88 ranger 393v to a 2012 Ranger Reatta 2050 with a 225 evinrude Etec and a 15 evinrude Etec Kicker. Curious What prop people are running on the same or very similar boat? I bought the boat late last season and was able to get out to powell once with it. Absolutely love the new boat But just want to dial it in. Prop that came with the boat is a Cyclone 14 1/2 - 17 (4 blade). With two people, Full tank of fuel and cargo Wot Rpm was 6200 (high) and Approx 50 Mph. Everything I have read says it should be within 4500 - 5800. I'm looking at buying a raker 19 or 20 (3 blade). Thoughts?

Thanks Rob

Here a pic of the new boat, Cant wait for spring!IMG_5210.JPG

prop science is alchemy, that being said, if you went to the same diameter and 18 pitch, being a 4 blade, slow your RPM by 300-400. the 4 blade will lift the rear of your boat better then a 3 blade. that said a reputable prop shop, for a deposit, will let you try a few props and apply the deposit to your purchase. if you want to get real close and work with some of the best prop people I have ever met, try hill marine, they are great on the phone to also get you close for a propeller choice. they are great with shipping costs also if you end up buying from them and have to make an adjustment.

@Robert B Beautiful boat. I would love to have one like it.

As far as WOT RPM range, where are you getting that number? The first website I came to listed that same 4500 - 5800 range, but that just seems way too broad to be the specs.

The Evinrude site says 5400 RPM - 6000 RPM. But I am not sure if that is for your model year. http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/engines/e-tec-g2/200-ho-300-hp.html#tab=2

My Mercury has a plate on it that shows what max RPM is. Does your Evinrude have one?

I am also surprised that new of an engine would allow itself to over rev. All of the newer engines I am aware of have a rev limiter on them to prevent that. So, even if the first RPM range you mention is correct, I would suggest that your tach might be off if you were able to go that far over WOT RPM.

Finally, the props that I have knowledge of (which are more in the stern drive world) was that for ever 1" pitch change, you also had a 200 - 300 RPM change. So you could do a little math and see where you want to be. I know of one prop shop in Denver that will allow you to exchange a purchased prop (in new condition) if it does not meet your expectations. Might be worth looking into that before you drop $400+ on a new wheel that might not meet your expectations.

Thanks for the reply's. Here are a few more details. Answers to questions and more info I found. (seloc manual and online)

05 - 2014 WOT Range is 4500 - 5800 (it is a wide range for some reason)
Rev Limiter Soft limit is 6000 hard limit is 6250 (found on another message board)
Also said that is starts adding extra oil at 5850

I feel I have to believe my Tach, because the boat is relatively new (2012) and the tach is controlled by the EMM.

I think I'm going to shot for a range of 5400 to 5600.
So that is looking like a 19 or 20 pitch. I'm probably going to go with another cyclone 4 blade prop. (turns out they don't make the raker in anything lower than a 22 pitch)

Everything I read about newer 4 blade Vs 3 Blade performance ( Fuel economy and mph) Was negligible. But the maneuverability and hole shot is better with a 4 blade

I purchased the boat at Crowley's in denver and they said when I was buying that they will work with me to figure out the prop. (turns out that when i was pricing them out online that Crowley's had the cheapest price I could find so far) Good for me!

I can post the results after the next trip out there.

Rob

Everything I have read says 4 blade is better for the hole shot, keeping a heavy boat on plane at lower speeds, and pulling skiers, but the additional blade adds drag. Three blades are better for fuel economy and top speed. What are your primary uses? Seems like it would be worthwhile to try a bunch of props to get dialed in before making a final purchase IMHO.

Really nice boat!

Hello All

New user hear. I have recently upgraded my boat from a 88 ranger 393v to a 2012 Ranger Reatta 2050 with a 225 evinrude Etec and a 15 evinrude Etec Kicker. Curious What prop people are running on the same or very similar boat? I bought the boat late last season and was able to get out to powell once with it. Absolutely love the new boat But just want to dial it in. Prop that came with the boat is a Cyclone 14 1/2 - 17 (4 blade). With two people, Full tank of fuel and cargo Wot Rpm was 6200 (high) and Approx 50 Mph. Everything I have read says it should be within 4500 - 5800. I'm looking at buying a raker 19 or 20 (3 blade). Thoughts?

Thanks Rob

Here a pic of the new boat, Cant wait for spring!View attachment 1703

Personally I'd go with the 19.

Having experimented with props on our Regal, I found if you go too tall on the prop ratio to lower rpm at high speed (and give higher speed at WOT), your Trolling Speed gets too fast even at idle. Obviously that assumes you're trolling with the engine, and not the motor.

The higher speeds at idle also become an issue when docking and retrieving the boat onto the trailer since you're moving faster you have a tendency to hit these immovable objects harder and it's harder to recover from a miscalculation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back