Rain and Hail at Wahweap

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
The first hail storm I can remember in a along time is now moving across Wahweap Bay. Hunker down and wait it out. Wind is strong. Visibility has dropped to a fraction of normal. It should be over in a few minutes. Will let you know when it stops.

Rain and wind have declined. Clouds are still hanging around. It looks like dusk here. There are a few sprinkles but the majority of the storm has passed on to the next bay. Lots of lightning towards Warm Creek. Storm posts were 18 minutes apart. Maybe that is the average time for a wicked storm to pass by.

Rain and wind have declined. Clouds are still hanging around. It looks like dusk here. There are a few sprinkles but the majority of the storm has passed on to the next bay. Lots of lightning towards Warm Creek. Storm posts were 18 minutes apart. Maybe that is the average time for a wicked storm to pass by.
I just talked to a buddy at Bullfrog he said some of the docks have broken apart and floating out of control. The worst storm he has ever seen.

A friend called whose daughter is down at Wahweap. They weren't on the water but they have gone out now to help rescue people. They said they are sure that people have died as a result of the storm. Please give us any updates you can

Last edited:
KSL's calling it a microburst in Padre Canyon. Aren't microbursts fairly local tho? Bullfrog seems a long way away for a microburst.. I don't know a lot about that stuff.

GregC

This sounds terrible!
Can have bad weather anywhere but on the lake in a boat and you are very vulnerable. It's pretty scary.
Any damage to buildings in Page?

Usually they're small diameter...like maybe 3 miles across. The wind speed can hit 120 mph. (I looked it up, and the max speed ever recorded is 156 mph.) In 2004 our house was hit with the typical micro burst that was estimated at 105 mph...ripped our entire porch off...and it was very well built and anchored. Threw our neighbors very large heavy glass dinning table about 30 ft. away. Ripped two chimneys off neighboring houses. And most roofing material on all the homes in a square mile area were ripped off.
As a pilot we got a lot of training concerning them. I stayed far away.

Maybe Bullfrog was a separate one or just a huge front hitting.

The NWS had issued a significant weather advisory for Kane County at 1:55 p.m. today. Padre and Warm Creek are my two least favorite places to be on Lake Powell when a big storm strikes.

My houseboat manager just sent this message out by text. He manages about a dozen houseboats out of Antelope Point Marina. He's talking about that marina here. Dock #2 he's talking about is the downstream dock:

To all boats turning today and throughout the weekend, a 80mph storm rocked the entire lake yesterday and did heavy damage to both the marina and boats up lake. We have been doing our best to contact every boat and determine their safety and ascertain any critical damage as crews were dispatched to assist in critical safety and recovery efforts. Thankfully we have heard from the majority of our boats and most did will but the full impact of the damage will not be know until boats start to return. We fully expect all canvas tops to be badly damaged and trips should plan to provide some sort of covering if they desire shade as marina resources have to be directed to more critical recovery and repair issues. If we are aware of specific damage to your boat we will let you know, otherwise just reaching the boats to get a "we are secure and safe" was a huge undertaking let alone getting a full damage report. The marina dock did break taking down power, water, fuel and access to 2 dock any further then the restaurant, this includes the fuel dock, rental and turnaround dock. Repairs are underway and power has been restored. Access to the affected dock areas is available by shuttle boat until the carts can start to move along the repaired section of dock hopefully today.

...Dock #2 he's talking about is the downstream dock:

The marina dock did break taking down power, water, fuel and access to 2 dock any further then the restaurant, this includes the fuel dock, rental and turnaround dock. .
As of 15:00 Saturday 9/16/2017 the circled area aka Dock 2 (vice dock 3 which is the private dock) aka the rental dock/fuel & pump out is still closed.
No pump out or fuel.
Not sure of the status today Sunday 9/17/2017
upload_2017-9-17_14-5-32.png
FWIW,
Goblin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back