Rail Mounted Fishing Rod Holders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have these mounted on my gunwales and on the transom...

They have worked very well and are out of the way when not in use-

41nsS-Qd0NL.jpg

Scotty Baitcaster/Spinning Rod Holder
Black with 244 Flush Deck Mount

Last edited:
I 2nd the Scotties. I have of 4 of them mounted. They're awesome. They also come in white and beige. Only one minor drawback- they do not float (don't ask me how I know). So I attach small string lanyards on mine :)

Cabela's rail mount quick draw is a good mount, you can buy the regular quick draw, get your own u bolts and all thread coupling nuts which are long hex nuts and save about $10 on each holder. Mine are the regular ones. They can be mounted on top or on a side and are rounded on the bottom for a rail. This picture shows two of the mounting options. 1D3B19F5-44CE-401A-B88B-E2054AEC0D98.jpegI am not saying they are the best but they are good pole holders that you can move around and adjust to any direction. The fillet board sits over where the one pole holder sits at times. Scotty makes Cabela's holders so they interchange. Just another option. If you don’t like the Cabela’s holders their bases fit Scotty holders and visa versa.

Last edited:
I had the same problem with rail mount Scotty’s... could never get em to stay put, would always twist.

I ended up buying the metal kind that really crimp on tight, so tight they will crush your rails if you aren’t careful... but they are SOLID. No movement ever

There are two kinds. 1) mounts in middle of rod holder, and 2) another kind that has the mount nearer the bottom of the rod holder.

63CA44DC-E6DC-4D5E-8038-1C2F705E8358.jpegCAC91F5A-D35B-47EC-837C-E873A780BC11.jpeg26F083E1-BA49-4705-901B-D19DA6E9D42B.jpeg

It just depends on how much clearance your rails have. I have both types, and both are rock solid.

Middle mount:

Bottom mount:

I upgraded out of the Lund. New boat doesn't have rod holders, and it seems that the best place to mount them would be on a rail around the back.

I tried these from Amazon, but they were too loose. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FQ1H63P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

Hey Ryan,
What did you end up getting?
I have had the original and now the new style Scotty Rod Holder rail mounts...and you can tighten them until the nuts pull through the synthetic material and they will still move...unless you cut a (approximately) 1/2" wide strip of innertube rubber material, as long as the mount, and sandwich it into the top of the mount prior to tightening. I cleaned everything with some automotive painting surface prep and cleaner (Walmart) first to remove any oils...and they are now rock solid, without overtightening... Scotty.jpg

Here's another view and the Cannon Downrigger rail mount as well...IMG_0222 (002).jpg

But if you get a chance to look at the Folbe Rod holder system, I think you will be impressed. The Advantage Jr. version are smaller and hold up to a 1-1/4" dia. rod grip very nicely without moving around. And they hold secure, yet have a release that lets you grab the rod and lift, and the holder releases it. Hard to describe, but look at the videos for Folbe rod holders. More expensive, but pretty neat and well made. They have a locking base with a release, which I like and have the same bolt pattern as most of the other similar types. And, many of the other holders will fit into the Folbe mount. But they have a nice side mount base that I like (see next picture) as well as the typical Pedestal, Rail and flush mount. I look forward to see what you end up with. I am still trying to figure out the rigging for our boat, there are a lot of options... lolFolbe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back