Quick help please!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsh4fun05

I had a cruise planned...no joke. I saved up for 2 years and had everything paid for. At least I got my money back. I took the opportunity with some time off to go to Powell, launching from Wahweap. We are supposed to be isolating ourselves from large groups so me going fishing at Powell is the most unselfish thing I could think of ;)
I didn't catch anything today but was focusing on prespawn bass. Main lake points in Warm Creek? and then went through the cut and fished main pointds. It was an epic fail but I'm fishing new territory and I just couldn't find my groove. So....How about them stripers!!!! Have boat, will travel and looking for help to find some stripers. I've got the gear, electronics and sardines that I don't really know what do with lol

Read Waynes fishing report .
And take the time to read through the recent fishing reports and threads. Sounds like trolling for stripers starting in the back of canyons and spooning them up is the tactic. I suspect the unsettled weather of late has the fish sluggish, but a couple nice calm days will start them upagain. The fish are too full to feed on anchovy’s this year!

I've been through the reports from Wayne. Give me some credit. Things are a little dry and was hoping to hear from some peeps on the water besides Wayne.

I had trouble today too. Didn’t find any schools. Lost one while trolling at back of Gunsight. Hoping things pick up tomorrow.

Good luck out there today. Wish I was there too. I haven't fished there too much this time of year so don't have solid advice. We have typically done well making the run all the way to the San Juan arm so am biased toward that area. It appears the fish may be a little spoiled with all the bait that has been in the water this past year. We fished this past summer and we have never seen such quantities of bait in the water in the 35 plus years of going there.

Would like to hear your reports no matter how it goes.

You could always go to the dam and fish anchovies next to the wall on the visitor center side. Look up the fishing for stripers 101 video on YouTube and how to do it. Pretty simple to just use a base hook or we have used bare jig heads for years there with a chunk of striper on them. We have always loved fishing different points in Navajo and in other canyons. Looking through a lot of the reports probably will not help a ton right now because as Wayne has said this year is unique. The fish have all been eating a ton and will not be as hungry. Our first trip is supposed to be mid April so any feedback would be great

I tried the traditional dam techniques and graphed for a good 45 minutes around the dam a week ago mid morning without a peep from any stripers. One other boat in the area was doing the same with similar results from what I could see. Did manage one skinny striper in the very back of navaho canyon trolling a jerk bait in about 20ft. Also caught a few nice SM on our way off the various rockpiles using ned rigs.

Ok folks. I blasted off to a small cove across from the marina. A sandy cove with rock ledges that are definitely prop eaters. I managed to catch a couple very healthy smallmouth on a Rayburn Red rattletrap and had a few follows. Isolated rock piles on sandy points seemed to be the ticket. I then went to the back of Gunsight (sp?) and was covering water with the same trap. First few casts I had a GIANT smallmouth chase my trap. I didn't catch it but it was very exciting to see. Usually I can catch all sorts of little guys so it was awesome to see that one even if I didn't catch it.
I had some follows so I tossed out a ned rig and was able to pick em up. Big striper blew up right at the boat on the trap and scared the bejesus out of me. Tough fishing but I would still call it a success. Headed back out tomorrow!

MM 12 mouth of Warm Creek east side rock piles and rocky edges in the mouth and around the corner in main channel has been good in the past but you know the disclaimer is just like the stock market disclaimer.

I got into the smallies again in Gunsight. Marked some stripers but not many as I wasn't looking for them. I fished there for a while and went to the next canyon north of Gunsight. I fished some good looking areas without a bite so I blasted to the back of the canyon. It was surprisingly deep for as narrow as it was. The stripers were stacked up in at least 4-5 different schools. I caught a few by accident and the school would go crazy. I strted marking them in 50' but in 30-25' there were so many finders were very colorful. I caught some good smallies back there and wanted to stay longer but it was getting late. It was a triple threat today. Largies, smallies and stripers. I feel more confident about fishing this time of year and what to look for. Beautiful weather as well.

I got into the smallies again in Gunsight. Marked some stripers but not many as I wasn't looking for them. I fished there for a while and went to the next canyon north of Gunsight. I fished some good looking areas without a bite so I blasted to the back of the canyon. It was surprisingly deep for as narrow as it was. The stripers were stacked up in at least 4-5 different schools. I caught a few by accident and the school would go crazy. I strted marking them in 50' but in 30-25' there were so many finders were very colorful. I caught some good smallies back there and wanted to stay longer but it was getting late. It was a triple threat today. Largies, smallies and stripers. I feel more confident about fishing this time of year and what to look for. Beautiful weather as well.
What were you catching the smallmouth on ?

That's great! Over Saturday and Sunday we trolled the back of various canyons in search of striper schools. Never found any. We were trolling around 2.9 mph, and sometimes up to 3.5 mph. Deep diving crankbaits mostly. We were also trying out a diver disk, called Big Jon Deep'r Diver and putting a Sebile Magic Swimmer on the end among other things. Well we never saw any striper schools, and never caught anything trolling. We went to the back of Gunsight, several coves in Last Chance, several coves along the way, back of Navajo, Back of Warm Creek. Didn't see anything on the graph. BUT we got into some smallmouth and even a largemouth in some shallows where it was a bit discolored and my son was hitting them on a Lucky Craft Lightning Pointer. He even caught a striper in the shallows. I wasn't all that prepared for fishing the shallow water so I tried various things that wouldn't work so well while my son was doing great! So overall we were happy we found some fish. Here's a pic of my son with his first ever bass. We threw this one back.

Attachments

• IMG_0577.jpg
    IMG_0577.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 41
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back