questions of fishing in last chance bay 1st week of may

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishnut54

My son and I are going to Powell the first week of May. We normally go to Good Hope and haven't been fishing in Padre Bay or Last Chance. Wondering if fishing the Padre Bay area is a good choice for bass or stripers, crappie or walleye? Looks like some good camping beaches nearby. Any ideas?

My son and I are going to Powell the first week of May. We normally go to Good Hope and haven't been fishing in Padre Bay or Last Chance. Wondering if fishing the Padre Bay area is a good choice for bass or stripers, crappie or walleye? Looks like some good camping beaches nearby. Any ideas?
I did last chance about this time last year and the small mouth were very active

Smallmouth very active on the rocky cove structures along the canyon edge and in coves. Stripers willing to hit trolled lures in 15-20 feet of colored water in backs of some side canyons. Excellent fishing for us today. Read tomorrow's fish report for more detail.

Go for it! You will find fish and camping spots, although you may have to get to the back of each Canyon. Last chance is pretty long, padre is wide. I have spent a lot of time in both areas. Water levels can change the shoreline dramatically.... They are both large so it can take some time to find fish. Dont stay in one place with no activity for long. You can waste time quickly. There are spots in both mentioned places and even in between I have LOADED up on stripers. I have caught crappie and walleye in both, although it seems they are not as abundant as the northern lake. Also, I dont target them so may be better than I think. Smallmouth, largemouth, and stripers will be your main catch in my experience. Catfish are abundant as well, but I usually see them more active later in the year.

Smallmouth very active on the rocky cove structures along the canyon edge and in coves. Stripers willing to hit trolled lures in 15-20 feet of colored water in backs of some side canyons. Excellent fishing for us today. Read tomorrow's fish report for more

Thanks very much Wayne! I always wanted your job as a marine biologist, or an architect.
Been reading your reports for years, thanks!!!
Good luck with your new knee. I've had both replaced and 15 years later they still work well. DO THE STRETCHES THE DOC TELLS YOU!! You will be amazed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Go for it! You will find fish and camping spots, although you may have to get to the back of each Canyon. Last chance is pretty long, padre is wide. I have spent a lot of time in both areas. Water levels can change the shoreline dramatically.... They are both large so it can take some time to find fish. Dont stay in one place with no activity for long. You can waste time quickly. There are spots in both mentioned places and even in between I have LOADED up on stripers. I have caught crappie and walleye in both, although it seems they are not as abundant as the northern lake. Also, I dont target them so may be better than I think. Smallmouth, largemouth, and stripers will be your main catch in my experience. Catfish are abundant as well, but I usually see them more active later in the year.

Thanks Ryan! I feel good about trying down there now. Been fishing GH Bay for years and it's time to mix it up. Small and largemouth bass and stripers are what we're looking for. Whatever else we catch will be a bonus!

Thanks Ryan! I feel good about trying down there now. Been fishing GH Bay for years and it's time to mix it up. Small and largemouth bass and stripers are what we're looking for. Whatever else we catch will be a bonus!
I’ll be near West Canyon with a group doing our annual fishing trip. We fish Last Chance every year during this time and do really well. Wayne gave excellent suggestions. We really don’t target the Stripers, but we do find them in a few spots. We mostly target Walleye, LMB, SMB, and Crappie.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ll be near West Canyon with a group doing our annual fishing trip. We fish Last Chance every year during this time and do really well. Wayne gave excellent suggestions. We really don’t target the Stripers, but we do find them in a few spots. We mostly target Walleye, LMB, SMB, and Crappie.
Thanks! Leaving on the weekend. In a 20' Crestliner deck/bass boat- tan and blue. Tom and Matt. Good luck maybe see you there.

Thanks! Leaving on the weekend. In a 20' Crestliner deck/bass boat- tan and blue. Tom and Matt. Good luck maybe see you there.
Can’t wait to get down there. We’ll be on a MyYacht houseboat named Steel Way. I’ll be in a white and green Ranger with a Mercury outboard. Maybe we’ll run into each other. Fish On!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back