Question On Mussels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyrman

I've been reading in the new rules regarding decon of boats, and mussels.
I will be bringing my 18' bowrider to the lake in a few weeks to pull behind a houseboat.
It will be for a week. We did this two years ago, and all I had to do was drain the engine, dry things down, and get it inspected.
It's an I/O motor, and it won't be going back I'm the water for who knows how long once we get home.
I forgot to say, I'm coming from Wa State.
Is everything still the same or not?
Thank you.

I don't know what Washington State rules are but if you lived in Utah you'd be fine. To be doubly sure you could make an appointment and run it through a hot decon as you leave the lake, but that would be overkill especially since you don't have plans to use the boat again. 30 days of drying in the summer is completely adequate.

Thank you for the response.
I know the rules in my state, my boat has to be free of weeds and such.
I'm just wondering if there's new rules at Powell.
I have a cruiser I use most of the time, so this boat mostly sits, but Id like to know what I'm facing coming out of Powell.
We will be getting on the road immediately for the drive home, and want to be prepared if something new is in place.

They will inspect you as you pull your boat, everyone has to go through that process, it doesn't take long. Make sure all your anchors are clear of mud and anchor lines are clean (and dry would help but sometimes that's not possible) and pull your plug. These will make the inspection process go faster.

Thank you everyone for the help.
SeaLegs, that post is what made me question if the process has changed.
Gem Morris, that's exactly what I had to do last time, it was quick and easy.
I'm guessing that's all the same, unless there's something attatched to my boat, then I'll have to have it decontaminated.

I am pretty sure that when you cross every border heading back into Washington, you will be required to have documentation of the full decontamination, or get it decontaminated there. The clean, drain, dry will kill mussels eventually, but they are not going to let you enter without showing you had the hot water decontamination. If it was me, I would get it done at Lake Powell. The states are honoring each others decontamination now, as long as you have the seal, and the paperwork....

I have to have the boat inspected at Idaho, Oregon, and Washington borders.
It's never been a problem before, I keep a clean boat.
The mussels are something different though. I didn't have any problems last time, I'm only in the water for seven nights, although I'm sure I just have to be in the right place at the wrong time to get them.
I'll look into the second process, it's just a Mercuiser I/O, that's it.
You guys are very helpful, thank you very much.

Since the boat will be coming from a mussel positive lake (Powell), they will want to decontaminate it....if you are honest and tell them you had the boat there....You most likely will not have mussels attached, but the microscopic Veligers, can live in a tiny bit of water in a place that you cannot reach to dry (I know you are not planning on launching for 30 days, but the inspectors are not going to know that is a certainty).

I have had it done at the Wyoming border, and it takes about 1/2 hour. They will run hot water in the bilge, through your engine intakes on the outdrive, livewells, and spray the bunks on your trailer and any ropes or anything else that has been in the water. The biggest pain is if you have a cover on your boat, you will have to take it off or remove it enough to allow access. It was 15 degrees at my house for multiple mornings after my last trip to Powell, but I took it in to the WGFD office and had it deconed just in case....Considering the potential for spreading those nasty buggers, it is well worth it!!!

Since the boat will be coming from a mussel positive lake (Powell), they will want to decontaminate it....if you are honest and tell them you had the boat there....You most likely will not have mussels attached, but the microscopic Veligers, can live in a tiny bit of water in a place that you cannot reach to dry (I know you are not planning on launching for 30 days, but the inspectors are not going to know that is a certainty).

I have had it done at the Wyoming border, and it takes about 1/2 hour. They will run hot water in the bilge, through your engine intakes on the outdrive, livewells, and spray the bunks on your trailer and any ropes or anything else that has been in the water. The biggest pain is if you have a cover on your boat, you will have to take it off or remove it enough to allow access. It was 15 degrees at my house for multiple mornings after my last trip to Powell, but I took it in to the WGFD office and had it deconed just in case....Considering the potential for spreading those nasty buggers, it is well worth it!!!
I absolutely am honest with them, I don't want to spread those things around.

I just called a private decon business in Page. The guy was very helpful, he said they have self decon stations ran by the DNR.
He also said he would leave the date open for me in case, so I may just do that.

Thanks. I live in the eastern part, the Tri-Cities. Funny thing is, I was born and raised in the Phoenix area, and never visited Lake Powell until I moved away.

I too was born and raised in north Phoenix area. Lucky for us my father took a chance on an old 50' houseboat shipped from the Florida Keys in the mid 70s.
No internet no cell phones no radio, just a Stan Jones map book and hope for the best. A lot of trial and error, mostly error at first.
Oh...I forgot the no people part.😎

Last edited:
I grew up in Peoria, just a short drive to Lake Pleasant. One of my cousins that's going on this trip has been to Lake Powell around a dozen times, all in the 70's - early 80's.
I boat on the Columbia River now, and occasionally the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound.
This is my boat.

Attachments

• 20180317_132233.jpg
    20180317_132233.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 43
I grew up in Peoria, just a short drive to Lake Pleasant. One of my cousins that's going on this trip has been to Lake Powell around a dozen times, all in the 70's - early 80's.
I boat on the Columbia River now, and occasionally the San Juan Islands in the Puget Sound.
This is my boat.

That will get you there quickly. Nice boat.
We prefer the slow and quite pace. Maybe we'll see you on the lake someday. We are launching on the 31st.LRM_EXPORT_233138713736988_20181117_175834356.jpeg

Unfortunately we're not taking that boat, we have an 18' bowrider that we're taking. We're renting a houseboat from Wahweap.
Don't let the boat fool you, it's faster than a houseboat, but it's not all that fast. I'm not into speed, just a nice cruise.
That's a beautiful picture.

I am pretty sure that when you cross every border heading back into Washington, you will be required to have documentation of the full decontamination, or get it decontaminated there. The clean, drain, dry will kill mussels eventually, but they are not going to let you enter without showing you had the hot water decontamination. If it was me, I would get it done at Lake Powell. The states are honoring each others decontamination now, as long as you have the seal, and the paperwork....
The statement I bolded is not accurate. Colorado won't honor any other state. And I don't think Wyoming will honor a decontamination done at Lake Powell.

Rules are still the same at the Utah border. Clean, Drain, and dry- Have boat inspected when leaving Lake Powell. When found mussel free, you will be able to head to WA. You will be inspected at the state borders you cross.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back