Question for Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coho975

Wayne, does LP experience a "turnover" as the weather cools? If so, what surface temps typically trigger it?

Thank you,
Joel

Lake Powell is not like most bodies of water that turnover in the fall. Basically, the water cools (that process is now occurring with surface temp down to 77 today) gradually through the fall. Finally, in November the surface temp drops enough so that the thermocline mixes with the surface water and the temp in the upper portion of the lake is about 46 F where it holds through the winter.

The big difference between this lake and others is that there is another layer down deep which does not mix with the surface water. Occasionally, every 5 years or so, a big spring flood drops down under that layer and forces it out of the penstocks through the dam. Then the lake is normal for a year or two before the deep "dead zone" starts to build up again.

I hope I have described this sufficiently as I am not an expert on hydrology. I know fish well, but not water science. If a water scientist can add more detail please chime in.

Thanks Wayne, great answer. We're planning a Thanksgiving trip. As a northern angler, fishing can be difficult during the turnover and we were hoping to avoid it.

Nope - turnover is not a problem in Lake Powell. Some of the best fishing of the year is in Nov, Dec and January. That is when we catch the big stripers on the bottom at about 60-100 feet.

Let's see Wayne, so far this year you have said some of the best fishing is Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, with promises for great fishing in Sept, Oct, Nov and Dec. Did I miss any? Really, Thanks for all you do for us!!
Chuck Fulton

There is never a really bad day fishing on Lake Powell. Some are better than others. It seems like our local fishing spot is good one day and off the next. Then it comes back hard again the next day. All I know for sure is that this year is different than any other year I can remember. (That's an interesting response from an older gentleman :oops:). The Lake Powell fishery is awesome and I am grateful to be a part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back