Prop question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dworwood

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
This is a strange question but I am curious how many people carry a spare prop in their boat? I always did in my smaller fishing boat but I have to wonder if I take a 17” prop out will there be so much damage to the lower unit that another prop probably won’t get me home. I personally do not know anyone who took out just a prop on the water without doing some other serious damage.
Any help or comments are appreciated. I hate to lug a spare around if it would be useless.
DW

Have a spare prop and complete backup hub kit. That along with just about every spare part you could think of. Good Hope Bay is far away from anything. Yeah you might destroy it beyond repair regardless but there are many situations you might not. Always a good idea to be extra prepared at Powell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't tell you how many houseboats and ski boats I've helped recover (and other workers) that needed a new prop to get home on. Just ask to see the mountain of bent props down at Wahweap Marina at the end of the season. You'll be amazed. I have also brought houseboats back from up lake on one bent up prop but it ain't fun.

One big issue is sucking your anchor rope into the pop. It tears the out drive right off the back of the boat and in comes the water. Happens every year out here.

Mine is an outboard so hopefully water flooding in should not be an issue. But I am glad to see the responses and issues that others have had or witnessed that will help me prepare for things I have not yet encountered! I try to always be prepared but after 50 years of carrying stuff in a small boat and my trucks I usually forget many of those things are even there until I sell them and have to clean them out & I always find treasures I forgot I had! The young people will laugh at this but their day will come too. My wife says I could build a truck with the spare parts and tools I carry.
Thank You all for the heads up on this question, it put my mind at ease and now I can sleep. LOL
DW

Can't tell you how many houseboats and ski boats I've helped recover (and other workers) that needed a new prop to get home on. Just ask to see the mountain of bent props down at Wahweap Marina at the end of the season. You'll be amazed. I have also brought houseboats back from up lake on one bent up prop but it ain't fun.

One big issue is sucking your anchor rope into the pop. It tears the out drive right off the back of the boat and in comes the water. Happens every year out here.

We carry a spare prop with hub plus extras that might be needed - nut, washer, thrust bearing, cotter pin, grease and tools to change including a metal wrench & wood block to stop the prop from rotating as you unscrew the nut. I've had to change a damaged prop in the back of West Canyon and wouldn't want to have to motor out on a damaged, out of balance prop for more than a couple of miles at wakeless speed. You can damage your drive unit with a bad prop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back