Prescott Area Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterbaby

Escalante-Class Member
Hope everyone here who lives in the area is okay - just heard on the radio they are now evacuating Dewey area [along with several other surrounding Prescott Valley communities]...

Just talked to CJ Rick and they are safe but just evacuated.

Thanks for the update, Todd. As soon as I heard Dewey I thought of CJ and his family! They said people were told to get out immediately. Telling everyone in areas not evacuated yet to have their belongings gathered and pet carriers are the ready to get out w/o delay as soon as the calls come to evacuate.

Not Again, that area got their a** kicked a few years back. Hope for a better outcome. Sq

The winds have laid down and supposed to stay down for the day. The airport looks like a combat airbase. They had two tankers early yesterday and three more came in during the day and immediately went into service. They had two heavy lift fire helicopters and two more were to arrive yesterday. While I had lunch at the airport yesterday one tanker made two round trips and had taken off for a third within an hour. They had one C-130 tanker just sitting there...did not turn a wheel. I was told by a forest supervisor they were on "crew rest". I flew two combat fighter tours in Vietnam...we understood the words combat, troops in contact and never once stood down....I even flew three missions off alert one Christmas day when we supposedly had a "holiday" recess in the war. This is war, damn it...we have the resources and should use them!!! Cowboy up! Sleep next week! Chuck

As of this morning most are able to return to Mayer and some of the surrounding area homes. Electricity is back on. Looks like few if any homes destroyed but several out building and sheds lost. 45% containment now. Don't know about CJ Rick he lives in the Blue Hills area and was evacuated...hope all is well. Chuck

Chuck does it look like you and your home in Prescott will be safe? Is the fire going the other way or working toward your hilltop? I hope the fire is contained sooner rather than later. I wish you well.

Wayne,
Thanks for asking but "no worries" about us or Prescott from this fire. It's about 15 miles east of here and moving mostly south to north. It did jump Hwy 69 which is the road we use to get to I-17 and Phoenix but that is now reopened. You may recall the area where Pete lived. That area was put on evacuation alert but they did not have to evacuate. CJ Rick lives a little further east in the Blue Hills area and did evacuate. I do not know his status but from what I see from here he is probably OK. I let the fire attack helicopters use my hangar for a headquarters and crew rest site during fires. They tell me that Wednesday one helicopter dumped retardant is many backyards all afternoon to save houses in the Mayer area. I have not talked to the helo guys today for a real time update. The winds have really laid down starting yesterday and that has been the most important factor in the outcomes so far. Thanks for your concern, we're fine but lets all say prayers for the families and property in the fire path. Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Rick posted on FB two days ago they had evacuated. He posted pictures taken from CH 12 News the night of the 28th yesterday. Has not posted anything since.

19554419_10155625543254015_6158544840179517893_n.jpg

Well I can now tell you firsthand that evacuations suck. Been out of my house since Wednesday morning.

TR

Got back in Friday night, unpacked the truck yesterday. Incredible job by the fire folks, it ended up being a type 1 response. It is difficult to pack your life's valuables in two hours however I did grab fly rods, tools, guns and golf clubs after the family pictures. All survived :)

TR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back