Predicting Lake-Levels for March 9-16

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS MCBETH

Wayne or anyone else who is inowledgeable:

Based on the myriad factors affecting lake level, is it safe to predict the level will begin increasing prior to March 9th, or would a safe bet be that it gets lower before it gets higher?

Right now it appears the only feasible way for us to get our boat on the water and back out every day without walking 3 miles is to use the Antelope Point Boat-Launch valet.

I’ve tried calling them several times with no answer to find out at what water depth their valet launch ramp is no longer usable.

So I have several questions for the WW crew or Wayne if he’s reading this.

1. Predicted water level March 9?
  2. Minimum usable depth for the Antelope Point boat valet?
  3. If you’ve used their valet, is it expedient, or do you end up waiting a long time?
  4. If we’re there a week are we better off launching once and docking in a slip at the Marina all week?
  5. Is the weather usually nice by this time? Seems like we’re having a wet cold year so I’m not sure Amy would want to spend her Spring Break (she’s a teacher) on a cold rainy lake with pre-season fishing ;-)
Thanks everyone.3968

Wayne or anyone else who is inowledgeable:

Based on the myriad factors affecting lake level, is it safe to predict the level will begin increasing prior to March 9th, or would a safe bet be that it gets lower before it gets higher?

Right now it appears the only feasible way for us to get our boat on the water and back out every day without walking 3 miles is to use the Antelope Point Boat-Launch valet.

I’ve tried calling them several times with no answer to find out at what water depth their valet launch ramp is no longer usable.

So I have several questions for the WW crew or Wayne if he’s reading this.

1. Predicted water level March 9?
  2. Minimum usable depth for the Antelope Point boat valet?
  3. If you’ve used their valet, is it expedient, or do you end up waiting a long time?
  4. If we’re there a week are we better off launching once and docking in a slip at the Marina all week?
  5. Is the weather usually nice by this time? Seems like we’re having a wet cold year so I’m not sure Amy would want to spend her Spring Break (she’s a teacher) on a cold rainy lake with pre-season fishing ;-)
Thanks everyone.View attachment 3968
I just read a post from fursniper that antelope is closed and the only ramp open is the main one. Might want to message him about what he saw and learned there. It was in the thread “fishing around antelope marina area”.

I just read a post from fursniper that antelope is closed and the only ramp open is the main one. Might want to message him about what he saw and learned there. It was in the thread “fishing around antelope marina area”.

The public ramp at Antelope is closed but the private “Executive Valet” ramp remains open, at least for now. I’m just unsure how far the water can drop before it’s inaccessible.

Thanks Dworwood

Chris,
The Antelope Valet has always been very good for us, we use them frequently. Wait time should be short. You should be able to call dry storage at this # (928) 645 5900 during business hours. I do not think they open until 8 am. I think the cost is around $30 we usually tip the young men. If you like to launch early rent a slip, I do not remember that cost being horrible either.

Typically, Powell doesn't start rising until early May. I'm guessing the level will be about 3570 +/- a few feet. Don't know about the ramp situation and you'll need to keep an eye on the weather forecast.

I agree with the lake level assessment of about 3570 for March 9, and it will just keep going down slowly until the end of April or so, maybe bottoming out at 3565... then a slow rise until the end of June, early July... my guess is about 3585 at the high point for 2019, unlikely to be higher in spite of the good snowpack... Typically by early to mid-March it's still pretty chilly... average highs might be about 60, lows in the 30s, though plenty of variability... and the water will be downright cold, maybe 50 or so...

We have had great success in that time frame in past years. But those were years where the only reason we went so early, was that the snow recreation was poor. It has been a colder winter (that is more like the old days), and I suspect the lake water will be pretty cold this year the first week of March. That being said, it can be pretty darned pleasant, if you choose your trip to coincide with warming weather. I would never plan a trip with a rigid time frame in advance, without knowing the weather conditions. Rather, I would try and set aside a window where you can get away, then plan your trip for the best weather in that time frame.

Reed the jet ski guy, went camping and killed the stripers in mid-January, March should be great, if you can pick your time frame!!!

RE the question "How low can the water be for the private APM ramp to still remain usable?", my understanding is it is good for only another 10' (as of Saturday, 2/9/19). So if this is correct it would be good down to 3565 (not knowing if it is 'usable' for another 10' or that is to the ground, meaning usable is only 6'?).

I have asked this question to APM management myself and have yet to receive an answer. The answer provided is secondhand but was stated directly by someone in APM management last Saturday. I would like to hear a confirmation to verify, so if anyone at APM is monitoring this site, please respond. Until then, I'd take this number under advisement. Thx, Doug

Last edited:
I've docked at Antelope for a week the past two Aprils. The courtesy shuttle up and down the ramp makes it worthwhile for my father (75), and myself, especially with a cooler full of stripers! Plus, there's shore power so I can charge my trolling batteries each night. The temporary slips are right behind the store/restaurant. Even if you have to launch at Wahweap, have somebody drive your vehicle to Antelope while you take the boat over. There's a callbox for the shuttle at the top and bottom of the marina ramp :) I'm pretty sure my 19ft boat was the smallest in the marina!

ps. The shore power is a standard 30A marine connection. You'll need an adapter if your boat isn't setup for shore power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back