Powell 8/10-8/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powelldreamer

Looking for info on Grotto or Dungeon Canyon. Are there any sandy beaches at this lake level? Is it worth the trip from Wahweap in a HB?

We usually park at Kane Wash but want to mix it up this year. We usually fish and tube/sight-see on our excursions.

Thanks in advance for the input

Looking for info on Grotto or Dungeon Canyon. Are there any sandy beaches at this lake level? Is it worth the trip from Wahweap in a HB?

We usually park at Kane Wash but want to mix it up this year. We usually fish and tube/sight-see on our excursions.

Thanks in advance for the input

We stayed in first cove to the left in Dungeon this weekend as Friendship was full, most of the beaches in 5-6? Dungeon were full as well. I liked it as the rock kept the weeds out. The tour boat wakes did make it in there though.

We stayed in first cove to the left in Dungeon this weekend as Friendship was full, most of the beaches in 5-6? Dungeon were full as well. I liked it as the rock kept the weeds out. The tour boat wakes did make it in there though.
Thanks for the info

Are any of the houseboat spots in this area sandy? We've been houseboating at Powell for 6 years but have always stayed up Navajo for the sandy beaches. We are heading back out August 20th and want to camp somewhere around Dungeon, Oak, Mountain Sheep.

We usually stay at Dungeon or Rock Creek. Last week anchored at Kane Wash and had a great spot!!

We visited both Rock Creek and Dungeon on the way to DR last week and there was plenty of beaches. Though Rock Creek was quite full. Check out our website https://dooleyatlakepowell.weebly.com/ You will see some of the areas that we stay at in both canyons. Along with a few maps.

Have you checked out Google Earth? Download it, change the view to historical imagery and then scroll to 9/2006 The lake is a bit higher then that level but it will give you some good ideas on where the good beaches are in both canyons.

Good luck!

BTW we saw some great small beaches in both Face, Labyrinth and West last week. And no one there!!!

We usually stay at Dungeon or Rock Creek. Last week anchored at Kane Wash and had a great spot!!

We visited both Rock Creek and Dungeon on the way to DR last week and there was plenty of beaches. Though Rock Creek was quite full. Check out our website https://dooleyatlakepowell.weebly.com/ You will see some of the areas that we stay at in both canyons. Along with a few maps.

Have you checked out Google Earth? Download it, change the view to historical imagery and then scroll to 9/2006 The lake is a bit higher then that level but it will give you some good ideas on where the good beaches are in both canyons.

Good luck!

BTW we saw some great small beaches in both Face, Labyrinth and West last week. And no one there!!!
Thanks for the info I appreciate the input

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I've been an owner Purple Moon the last 6 season so I'm familiar with your trips as I've viewed many of your trip reports. They've been very helpful.

Good luck!

One other question since you know the boat we are on, will we need to get fuel at Dangling Rope for the houseboat if we try and make it up to Oak Canyon?

Hey Scott.

When we go to Wetherill or the end of Rock Creek we and we run the engines at 3,200 rpms and use the gen about 10 hours a day (AC at night) then we use about 1/2 our engines gas, 25% of the Generator and everything in the toy tank. The last few years we have been running our engines at 2,800 rpms and that really saves the gas! And only slows us down by a mile or mile 1/2 per hour. We only used a 1/4 of a tank of our engines at 2,800 rpms.

If you go slow, don't run the gen that much then I'd say your good. If you want to be safe then I'd fill up the engines at DR on the way up.

You are aware you can transfer gas from the toy tank / Gen and Main tanks? Other gas nozzle next to stair case under carpet, valve for gen / engine in engine compartment.

Have fun!!!

I take a 65 foot houseboat from Wahweap to Great Bend on the San Juan. As Brent stated above, if you keep the engine RPM's from 2800 to 3200 you can make it without stopping at Dangling Rope. My boat has (2 200 gallon fuel tanks for the engine, and a 200 gallon toy tank.

Good luck!

We are making our first trip to Powell next month - your website is really helpful, both the stories and the consolidation of tips. I confess I'm a bit nervous about navigating, finding a good anchor spot, anchoring - but what is life without some adventure?! Open to any suggestions you might have for a newbie.

We are making our first trip to Powell next month - your website is really helpful, both the stories and the consolidation of tips. I confess I'm a bit nervous about navigating, finding a good anchor spot, anchoring - but what is life without some adventure?! Open to any suggestions you might have for a newbie.

Sounds like a great reason to post your own thread seeking suggestions. Tell us where you're starting from and what your goals are. :)

Reactions: CCC

When are you heading up there? We will be there first week in September. You will be fine. We all had our first time there... Been going every year for about 30 plus years now. Each time is a learning experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back