Please help find the right map technology

Discussion in 'Lake Powell Fishing' started by wayne gustaveson, Mar 17, 2017.

1. wayne gustaveson

wayne gustaveson Administrator Staff Member

I got this question today:

I visited Lake Powell 2 years ago with 2 other couples and we did the houseboat gig and pulled my 18 ft Hewscraft tin boat and had a great time. It took me about a microsecond to realize one can get lost on Powell pretty easy and therefore I stayed close to home base. I want to return this year and am looking for suggestions if you have any regarding a Mapping Sonar where I can safely see depth contours and an overview of the main channel of Powell.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Lowrance Hook 5 plotter. The sales people are a bit confusing at BassPro to get straight conversation about what mapping package I need to safely navigate Powell and if there are units that come pre-loaded with the map of Powell.

I am not the best one to ask since my LP map is in my head after 40 years of navigating the lake up and back. I know we have a few threads already discussing this issue. Please help me find those threads or give your expert guidance on Lake Powell Map technology. Thanks Wayne

2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Any GPS will give you the mapping portion. I do not know of anything with accurate depth contours.
  3. Desert Mountain Angler

Desert Mountain Angler Well-Known Member

I have been looking at a Hummingbird Helix 7 or 9 that has Auto Chart. As I understand it you can create your own contour then save. These can be saved and shared to others with the same program.

For my GPS of the lake I purchased LakeMaster PLUS (Southwestern States). I've used it for years on Powell and was able to navigate at night no problem. One just has to re-adjust the lake level so you don't run night of course.
  4. Meatwagon

Meatwagon Well-Known Member

I have a hook 5 mounted in my dash, but it is not the one with gps so the map is worthless. I also mounted a humming bird on the boat with gps and the lakemaster chip which allows you to change the shore line and highlight the shallow water areas. It is amazing , I adjusted for 107 ft. that the lake is low and found it to be very accurate on the southern lake last weekend. I can't wait to get up there to play with it some more. what ever you decide be sure it has gps and if your budget allows get one that will exept a mapping chip. Good luck in your search and on your trip.
  5. VanillaIceCream

VanillaIceCream Well-Known Member

6. dank80

dank80 Member

I use a Humminbird 688 HD unit with GPS (around $499) and a Humminbird Lakemaster mapping chip (around $125). I don't rely as heavily on electronics as I'm sure a lot of people do, but it works pretty well for me. Adjusting the depth offset for different lake elevations comes in very handy.