Personal Transport: Launching and Retrieving SOLO

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHRIS MCBETH

I often launch and retrieve my boat solo. This presents a tremendous inconvenience to others since my boat sits tied to the loading dock the entire time I’m gone with the truck or walking up and down the launch ramp.

I’ve often thought about using a small, foldable, electric scooter to get up and down the launch ramps. There are models designed with hi capacity batteries and high-torque motors that could easily last 1 or two trips up and down the ramp per charge, especially since they regenerate on the way down. I’m more athletic than most 6 foot 51 year old dudes, so I’m confident I could do it safely.

I was imagining zipping down to the boat, and back up to the truck in less than 5 minutes vs the 15-20 minutes it takes now.

Is something like this even feasible? Will the Wahweap Lake Powell Resort carts do this for you in exchange for tips if you call them on the radio?

Wayne what are your thoughts?

I hate slowing down the water-queue at the bottom of the ramp, but I have no choice when solo.

I started thinking one of these high powered scooters could be the answer.

The one time I had to retrieve my boat by myself, I flagged down a car headed up the ramp. He gladly drove me the 1 + mile up to the truck/trailer.

Have you tried that? People are very accommodating, I just don't think they really "think" about helping out that way.

And, as an aside, the shuttle on the north end is supposed to do this as well. But the two times I tried that it took longer for them to get down to where I was waiting than it would have taken to walk up to the truck.

Right? My late husband and I knew it was the only way we'd be able to launch by ourselves until we healed from health issues...he didn't survive it and I haven't been back...going Monday, though!!! Getting the houseboat splashed and in a slip.
I don't think the cheaper ones would get a person up the ramp... :(

Thank you Joy. Im sad to hear you lost your hubby.

That’s awesome you still go though!!

Good luck!

I guess I’ll try to see if a good Sam would give an old bearded dude a ride. If that fails my next move is a $1200 scooter! :)

last week at BF ramp I watch a man come down the ramp on a $300 "mini segway", that are sold at Sams club. I stopped him to chat about it & if it would take him up. He said it does. He originally bought it for his kids to play with at home, but he brought it down to the BF ramp to try it out. And so far he likes it for going both up & down the bumpy/long ramp. It is small enough & he stores it in the boat during the day of boating. He said he practiced a bit at home first before he came down to try it. He probably weighed 185-200 lbs......

Thank you Joy. Im sad to hear you lost your hubby.

That’s awesome you still go though!!

Good luck!

I guess I’ll try to see if a good Sam would give an old bearded dude a ride. If that fails my next move is a $1200 scooter! :)
Grandkids absolutely love it...so there are other uses! You might even enjoy it at home? lol
Boats: A hole in the water in which you pour money.
I miss Clint so much...tomorrow is going to be fun, scary, sad and hopefully freeing in some small way. I AM still here, though!

last week at BF ramp I watch a man come down the ramp on a $300 "mini segway", that are sold at Sams club. I stopped him to chat about it & if it would take him up. He said it does. He originally bought it for his kids to play with at home, but he brought it down to the BF ramp to try it out. And so far he likes it for going both up & down the bumpy/long ramp. It is small enough & he stores it in the boat during the day of boating. He said he practiced a bit at home first before he came down to try it. He probably weighed 185-200 lbs......
We thought about one of those...thought they might be too heavy to load on the boat, in the truck...? We went with the U-scooter because it's pretty light and folds up...yet, it has some power and a good battery.

At Bullfrog I beach the boat , unload the trailer in the parking lot and drive to the hobie cat . As close as i can to the ramp which is about 200 yards and walk over to the boat. No walking up the ramp. Do it every trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back