Page..Blue Notch...or Bullfrog

Status
Not open for further replies.

six5

Happy almost new year to all...

There is a nice weather window H48ish, L33ish, wind 5mph coming up starting Jan 7 for about six days. We can tent camp, or if it's possible pull my off road Jayco quest popup trailer with 15" tires into blue notch..our favorite option, OR stay at Bullfrog, OR get an Airbnb in Page and fish from Antelope or Wahweap. Our shore launch boats are 9ft pontoons with gas motors we can easily run two miles to fish, the boats are carried in the truck bed. We are hoping for stripers or walleyes.

The last time I was in blue notch was about 8 years ago and it was easy, how about now?

Best guess, will stripers be in the back of the bays or down lake really deep by then?

Is the lake low enough that a two or three mile run from Good Hope bay can get us to the stripers nearer the inlet?

Or can we drive to the lake at white canyon formed by the sand bar and fish the new little lake? I read a couple posts that people had fishing success there.

Thanks for any help guys. Also, if anyone would like to join the three of us camping/fishing let me know. Tight lines, Bill

I would camp at Lone Rock Beach. You can camp right next to the water. Striper fishing is great 200 yards off the beach. Lone Rock canyon also holds large mouth. I launched from the beach last week. You will not find many other campers there this time of year.

Happy almost new year to all...

There is a nice weather window H48ish, L33ish, wind 5mph coming up starting Jan 7 for about six days. We can tent camp, or if it's possible pull my off road Jayco quest popup trailer with 15" tires into blue notch..our favorite option, OR stay at Bullfrog, OR get an Airbnb in Page and fish from Antelope or Wahweap. Our shore launch boats are 9ft pontoons with gas motors we can easily run two miles to fish, the boats are carried in the truck bed. We are hoping for stripers or walleyes.

The last time I was in blue notch was about 8 years ago and it was easy, how about now?

Best guess, will stripers be in the back of the bays or down lake really deep by then?

Is the lake low enough that a two or three mile run from Good Hope bay can get us to the stripers nearer the inlet?

Or can we drive to the lake at white canyon formed by the sand bar and fish the new little lake? I read a couple posts that people had fishing success there.

Thanks for any help guys. Also, if anyone would like to join the three of us camping/fishing let me know. Tight lines, Bill

Blue notch has a very steep bank now due to water levels and I think it would be difficult to launch from there. You could find a spot to carry boats and shore launch. You could drive in and camp there and drive a fast boat up from Bullfrog on the first day. The other side of that is it might be the best fishing of all the choices.

Stripers will be holding from 30 feet to very deep water. You just have to look for them each day. They get shallower at mid day and when you catch a few deep fish on spoons or bait.

Yes you can look for stripers at the Horn just upstream from Scorup Canyon. Make sure to bear to the left in the main channel to avoid the shallow rock whales on the right side going uplake.

I am not sure about White Canyon access and fishing success.

If I had the same circumstances as you, I like Wayne's suggestion (imagine that!). Whatever you decide, would you let us know how you did?

Thank you for the ideas. As for Blue Notch, How is the road? Do you guys think I could tow my off road jayco popup with 15" tires into there?

How big of shad imitation lures would be good. I was thinking a 4" swim bait would be good, any other ideas? And yes, I will post a report when we get back.

Thank you for the ideas. As for Blue Notch, How is the road? Do you guys think I could tow my off road jayco popup with 15" tires into there?

How big of shad imitation lures would be good. I was thinking a 4" swim bait would be good, any other ideas? And yes, I will post a report when we get back.

4 inch shad baits would be about right. All the shad that are still swimming are cautious adults. Threadfin are 3-6 inches and gizzards are 4 inches and larger. Larger baits may work in the winter. Go smaller in springtime after the spawn. Then gradually increase bait size as the predators drive fish to the surface in May to August.

Spoons work well at this time and get down quicker than swimbaits. Use your confidence lure which is the one the performs best for you.

Not sure on the Blue Notch road but it will take more than an hour to complete the 12 mile drive.

Well, my hoped for trip to Blue Notch did not happen. If we can get away in April I will file a report. Tight Lines, Six5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back