Padre Butte short cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron O

Anybody know what the lake level has to be to make the short cut passable between Padre Butte and Dominguez Butte?
Thanks in advance!

i was able to slip through there three weeks ago in my fishing boat and the water was coming up. You should be OK.

Anybody know what the lake level has to be to make the short cut passable between Padre Butte and Dominguez Butte?
Thanks in advance!

At 3600 MSL you can idle through and see the rocky bottom. At the current level, 3604, you can go through on plane but I would idle through first so you are properly oriented and know exactly where to go.

Funny how things change. Back in the late nineties and early 2000s when I lived on the lake I never would have thought about having to go around Padre Butte and Camel Rock and now it's a treat to be able to shave off time getting uplake. Heading uplake May 12th - 16th and am excited about any shortcut. Hope the walleye are ready for us.

Thanks for all of the replies!
Short cuts are good,allows for more fishing time!

Wayne, at 3604, is that high enough for a houseboat? I ask as you mentioned 'on plane'...and are any bouys in place yet to help guide one?
We will be going across on Saturday and i project 3606 by then.

Wayne, at 3604, is that high enough for a houseboat? I ask as you mentioned 'on plane'...and are any bouys in place yet to help guide one?
We will be going across on Saturday and i project 3606 by then.

The rock buoy used to be at the deepest spot in shortcut so I could just aim for the buoy and make it through with ease. Now the rock buoy is closer to Padre Butte and no longer a good target. I will go through this week and try to update you. For now it is not a good choice for a houseboat but I will let you know.

That particular stretch has very inconsistent rock levels and would only consider the shortcut with a good visual and slow going. I'm planning on taking a houseboat through there in 10 days but still will be cautious. What's the worst that could happen... oh yeah, lower unit.

Thanks Wayne. Our HB only draws about 5 feet from water line to tip of transom. Let me know the depth you see. And a pic to point out the best pass thru spot would be Dandy!

Funny how things change. Back in the late nineties and early 2000s when I lived on the lake I never would have thought about having to go around Padre Butte and Camel Rock and now it's a treat to be able to shave off time getting uplake. Heading uplake May 12th - 16th and am excited about any shortcut. Hope the walleye are ready for us.
What is your secret that gets you living on the lake?

marine mechanic for one of the houseboat fleets for ten years. Technically not living on the lake but in Page.. So many nights coming back after dark it felt like I was living on it. We had lake runs for repairing quests houseboats almost daily. Some days 45 houseboats would go out. Longest day, 365 miles. Wahweap to Zahn Bay and all points in between. Our chase boat did about 62 mph. and 125 gallon fuel tank. We drove it like we stole it. Lots of close calls and bigtime wind storms. Used every shortcut possible.
What is your secret that gets you living on the lake?

So many funny and sad stories about people on the lake. One of my favorite experiences. Even met Wayne at the Wahweap cleaning station which I know he'll never remember. He told me to use this big Storm lure which I haven't caught a fish with yet.

Went through the cut today and it read 6ft on my hummingbird. I went right through the middle of the opening and it looked to be a consistent depth for quite a few feet in either direction. Enter at your own risk.

marine mechanic for one of the houseboat fleets for ten years. Technically not living on the lake but in Page.. So many nights coming back after dark it felt like I was living on it. We had lake runs for repairing quests houseboats almost daily. Some days 45 houseboats would go out. Longest day, 365 miles. Wahweap to Zahn Bay and all points in between. Our chase boat did about 62 mph. and 125 gallon fuel tank. We drove it like we stole it. Lots of close calls and bigtime wind storms. Used every shortcut possible.

So many funny and sad stories about people on the lake. One of my favorite experiences. Even met Wayne at the Wahweap cleaning station which I know he'll never remember. He told me to use this big Storm lure which I haven't caught a fish with yet.
Sounds like a pretty cool time. Can't imagine some of the stories you have

Wahweap to Zahn Bay - What a run!

Let me tell one if I may. Found a customers boat in west canyon that was having water heater problems. They were all from northeast. They stayed up all night because they thought that wolves were watching them from the shore, they could see a half doazen set of eyes. When day broke they discovered the wolves were cows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back