Padre Burps

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishydoug

Fished the last week of July. The striper slurp action was the best we have seen in the last 10 years. We have a 10 day trip to the lake every year on the exact same calendar date that gives us a great year to year comparison. This years slurp action was forgiving enough that even bad casts made to the center of the slurp often did NOT make the school sound. This is generally not the case this early in the Striper season. It really helped increase the catch rate for my less proficient fishing buddies. The biggest modulator for slurp action was wind. If it was calm, there were slurps; even in the middle of the afternoon. There were schools up and down Face canyon out to buoy 24. However, the bigger and more aggressive schools I found were located back towards Padre Bay from buoy 24 along the right (North-East?) side of the main channel. This section of the main channel has a lot of shade in the morning and if the water was dead flat, you could go from slurp to slurp without having to search. The best school we found was at 9am one morning were my 82 year old mom and I had two double hook ups and I a caught a 3rd fish (or a total of 5 fish) without the school ever going down. This is the kind of action you expect in late July/early Aug boils. They weren't really Slurps and not quite Boils, so I guess they were Burps or Sloils.... :-)

We used only 1/4 lead head jigs with 3 inch plastic jigs. Chartreuse ended up to be our favorite, but clear sparkle and white worked great as well. Caught a bunch on 2 1/2 Pop-R style of top water lures as well. Thinking my Boil trip scheduled in Mid Aug better get moved up a few weeks before all the shad are eaten....

Attachments

• 20180626_070128.jpg
    20180626_070128.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 44
Fished the last week of July. The striper slurp action was the best we have seen in the last 10 years. We have a 10 day trip to the lake every year on the exact same calendar date that gives us a great year to year comparison. This years slurp action was forgiving enough that even bad casts made to the center of the slurp often did NOT make the school sound. This is generally not the case this early in the Striper season. It really helped increase the catch rate for my less proficient fishing buddies. The biggest modulator for slurp action was wind. If it was calm, there were slurps; even in the middle of the afternoon. There were schools up and down Face canyon out to buoy 24. However, the bigger and more aggressive schools I found were located back towards Padre Bay from buoy 24 along the right (North-East?) side of the main channel. This section of the main channel has a lot of shade in the morning and if the water was dead flat, you could go from slurp to slurp without having to search. The best school we found was at 9am one morning were my 82 year old mom and I had two double hook ups and I a caught a 3rd fish (or a total of 5 fish) without the school ever going down. This is the kind of action you expect in late July/early Aug boils. They weren't really Slurps and not quite Boils, so I guess they were Burps or Sloils.... :)

We used only 1/4 lead head jigs with 3 inch plastic jigs. Chartreuse ended up to be our favorite, but clear sparkle and white worked great as well. Caught a bunch on 2 1/2 Pop-R style of top water lures as well. Thinking my Boil trip scheduled in Mid Aug better get moved up a few weeks before all the shad are eaten....

Great report, Gena and I will be camping in that area from the 4th to the 7th of July along with my step daughter,her husband and three kids. We'll have the Waynes Words flag flying . Stop by and say hi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back