Padre Bay/Canyon Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Vaughan

Hi Wayne and others,
We are headed up for our annual Lake Powell trip on the houseboat. We normally park in Padre Canyon. Wayne, this year, where do you recommend we try for strippers in the south Lake? I’ll post our reports on how we are doing. Thank you Wayne for all you do to save the shad!
Larry

We won’t have a fish finder in our rental boat. Is anyone having any luck for Stripers against the wall near bouy 25? Anywhere else in Padre Bay or Navaho? Thanks in advance!
Larry

Hi Wayne and others,
We are headed up for our annual Lake Powell trip on the houseboat. We normally park in Padre Canyon. Wayne, this year, where do you recommend we try for strippers in the south Lake? I’ll post our reports on how we are doing. Thank you Wayne for all you do to save the shad!
Larry

Friendship, Rock Creek and Dungeon are good areas for STRIPER fishing.

I keep hoping for the first real 'Boils' but have not seen them yet. It is really tough to read the Good Hope Bay < 100 fish per day reports> and compare that to the southern non-boil reports.

In the south you have to troll and graph to find fish then, drop spoons or bait to catch them. That is going to be tough in a rental boat without a graph. Make sure to take some bass surface popper lures and try them at 4-6 AM along the rocky shoreline.

You might consider purchasing a portable graph with a suction cup transducer for the rental boat. They don't cost all that much and are far better than no graph at all. :)

Ed Gerdemann

Good advise Ed. I was thinking the same thing. I have one of those little green ones you can cast out, but I’ll probably stop off on the way and get one with the suction cup. Thanks!

Good advise Ed. I was thinking the same thing. I have one of those little green ones you can cast out, but I’ll probably stop off on the way and get one with the suction cup. Thanks!

Don't overlook smallmouth fishing if stripers don't cooperate. They are a lot of fun to catch, and it's not always necessary to have a depth finder to locate them. Just fish off the ends of the points, reefs and rockslides and you'll likely catch some. They are also very good eating, far better than stripers IMHO. In fact, smallmouth are my fish of choice when visiting Powell. I'll look for stripers if the smallmouth aren't hitting, but I'd rather catch those bronze backs! :p

Ed Gerdemann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back