Otters/San Juan - Tom Ogden

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
I was out one morning in my float tube and spotted a family of what I think were river otters. Our houseboat was beached about ½ mile up the San Juan from the main channel and on June 21st I was tubing along south side (N37 10 46.2 W110 52 45.9) of the river channel when I spotted them. I was surprised to see them in such a remote location. I have enclosed some not very good photos because I thought you might be interested.

There were also a pair of some kind of small falcon or hawk that were up on a ledge near the same location.

We had a great trip. I caught a few good bluegill, catfish, smallmouth, and one striper all on flies.

You have got a great job!!

Take care,

Tom Ogden

Price, UT

Attachments

• otter1ogden.jpg
    otter1ogden.jpg
    665.5 KB · Views: 261
  • otter2ogden.jpg
    otter2ogden.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 260
  • ogendowl2.jpg
    ogendowl2.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 255
  • ogdenowl.jpg
    ogdenowl.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 241
Yep looks like otters to me. We've seen them in last chance a couple times now. It's a joy to see them but I wouldn't want to be swimming then have them pop up near me, that freak me out.

The first week-end in July my grandson Logan and I were up early to go fishing in the very end of Iceburg Canyon when he spotted some river otters up early to fish also. There was a large male, an adult female with two kits. The kits were scrambling up some rocks and disappeared into a crevice. Mom got back in the water and started chirping her warning not to approach. We didn't, just eased on by and went fishing on our own. Great experience!

Since we are on Otters, here's our best shots. They are elusive. Most will recognize the area by the back ground.

Attachments

• IMG_4267.JPG
    IMG_4267.JPG
    495.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_4263.JPG
    IMG_4263.JPG
    494.9 KB · Views: 151
I believe your bird pictures are of Peregrine Falcons which are found in many canyons at Lake Powell. We've seen them from Knowles to Iceburg. I'm sure they are common elsewhere. They feed on other birds, such as ducks, which they dive on and take them out, in flight. We saw one do exactly that several years ago. It was quite a sight.

It's at the island near Neskahi Wash in Piute Bay. Looking at the west wall. Sept. of 2012.

Last edited:
Jimbo thank you so much for posting the otter pictures. I used the picture today in my fish report. They may be the same otters that helped me pick gill nets there on Tuesday Oct. 23rd. Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back