Optimism?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muley

We're finally going somewhere with the camper and the boat Monday, Powell is always first choice for me because..well just because. Problem is, it's an 8 hour round trip with the associated cost of fuel and we only have 2 days, and it seems that the bottom has fallen out of the fishing in the last week or so because of the weather. We ran up there last May after a miserable spring and got blown off the lake with temps in the 50's and I would hate for that to happen again, my wife will give up on the place. Is there any bright spots I should be looking at? We stay at Lone Rock and don't travel far in our 'toon, seems like smallies are the only thing happening right now in the south end. Any optimists out there with a positive report or prediction?

Don't know if this will help or not, but I graphed lots of shad and stripers between the beach and Lone Rock when we were there a week ago. We got a few here and there just nothing like what it should have been with what I was seeing on the graph. The fish were deep 70-100 ft not the normal 40-50 ft we usually find them in. We did get on one boil on the Warm Creek side of the cut, mostly small fish with some bigger ones under them. It was very tough fishing for us, but we were at Powell. Of course the moon was full and that may have been part of the problem. Wayne is the optimist in the crowd he always says the fishing will be better next week. Good luck.

We will be there Monday as well, looking at the weather for the week it should be perfect with a new moon on Thursday. I am feeling very optimistic. We'll be at lone rock also.

My wife says I'm whining, I am. Desert lakes are showing wind, and still high 90's. I think I'm going to just take the drive to Powell, cause it's probably our last chance this year, then explore Mohave a few time this winter. See? It doesn't take much optimism to get me going.

Welcome I thought I saw the meat wagon drive in ;)

Lake is supposed to stay that way for 10 days and the fish should be in a good mood as well.
We're not going to make it, just leaving now so I guess we'll do Bartlett or pleasant. Let me know how you do, I'm leaving the camper on and heading up Sunday no matter what. I need my Powell fix and I mean to get it, just have to find someone to run the boat up from the ramp or try to launch at LR. Either way, I'll be there Sunday, wife or not.

We hit Navajo canyon Monday afternoon and picked up some small mouth for dinner. I think we're going to try last chance today and see what is hungry up there.

Went to last chance Tues found some small mouth and 2 striper in the back, throwing chart. Pepper single tail grubs and watermelon red fleck hula grubs. Everything was small, but a perfect day otherwise.

Oddly enough, we had a good day too, a few lmb along a shady cliff, had a bald eagle fly low over us, then got into a boil and pulled a few stripers out of that, not easy with a toon. High point was Mrs Muley getting 3 on a top water, 3 casts in a row, keeps her interested. Low point is they're all dinks, between 8 and 12 inches, about half the size of Powell schoolies.

We stayed close today, fished warm creek bay. added large mouth and blue gill to our slam for this trip, still searching for a crappie and walleye. replace41.png
Maybe tomorrow.

Oddly enough, we had a good day too, a few lmb along a shady cliff, had a bald eagle fly low over us, then got into a boil and pulled a few stripers out of that, not easy with a toon. High point was Mrs Muley getting 3 on a top water, 3 casts in a row, keeps her interested. Low point is they're all dinks, between 8 and 12 inches, about half the size of Powell schoolies.
Sounds like you went to pleasant, eagles are always cool to see,you know what they say happy wife is a happy life ;)

Ended up having a decent short trip, not up to powell standards but keeps me from whining, and helped keep the freezer stocked. I'll be up there Monday am even if we have to stay at the Walmart B&B Sunday night. Now I want to do some smallie fishing.

Attachments

• IMG_20171018_153706263.jpg
    IMG_20171018_153706263.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20171018_153748606.jpg
    IMG_20171018_153748606.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 28
Sounds like you went to pleasant, eagles are always cool to see,you know what they say happy wife is a happy life ;)
Yup, and Pleasant it was. Always good to keep the Minister of Finance interested in fishing trips. I don't know anyone else I could take that can camper cook like she does, and she can cast too. That topwater action had her face all lit up. Now if she could just get better at keeping the boat on a school......

I had to get her used to this not happening in freshwater.

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 39
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back