One more poll about the number of rods allowed per license.

How many rods should be allowed per license?

• 2, keep it as is.

• Between 2 and 6

• Unlimited

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I would guess that some would like to fish with Trout lines and Yo Yo"s. Hanging in the morning and Harvesting in the Evening. That's not fishing for me. Unlimited poles is just about the same thing. It's a Sport to me not a means to feed my family, which is a side benefit. Cheers.

My vote for more rods is simply for one thing, searching for fish via trolling. I can easy manage 4 rods and drive the boat by myself and find fish faster by covering a wider swath. Once the fish are located, one rod each is usually sufficient. I’m just talking about stripers a walleye at Powell, the ones they want ya to kill

My vote for more rods is simply for one thing, searching for fish via trolling. I can easy manage 4 rods and drive the boat by myself and find fish faster by covering a wider swath. Once the fish are located, one rod each is usually sufficient. I’m just talking about stripers a walleye at Powell, the ones they want ya to kill

You can troll well now with 4 rods by yourself - How much effort would it take to add two more rods and fish with 6 rods? Just wondering if you would want this rod increase to happen or are you satisfied with the 4 rods and holders you now have.

Personally myself, for trolling, 4 is good, controllable , I usually don't use more than this unless a mooching rod is thrown in for a sub surface lure. 2 rods on the down riggers, usually below 12 feet to 38 feet, maybe 10 feet from the balls, and 2 rods out the sides for anything down to 12 feet and at a farther distance from the boat say at least 75 feet, with this set up I can usually make a fast turn and not get all that tied in knot. Even with an additional person, more rods only get to be a mess, especially in the wind or sunken trees. ( for me anyways)

I'm with WaterDog, my boat is rigged for trolling 5 rods at a time. I rarely fish solo, in fact I haven't even tried it with my current boat, but it would be nice to have the option on slower fishing days to fish more than 2 rods.

Jeez, ware will it end? I say we should all have a purse seine on board and just wrap them up . Save alotta time, and gas, and spend your time filleting..

Jeez, ware will it end? I say we should all have a purse seine on board and just wrap them up . Save alotta time, and gas, and spend your time filleting..
That WOULD save a lot of shad.

It might be a way to return to 10 pound stripers being caught on a regular basis.

You can troll well now with 4 rods by yourself - How much effort would it take to add two more rods and fish with 6 rods? Just wondering if you would want this rod increase to happen or are you satisfied with the 4 rods and holders you now have.
Just 2 more planer boards and a bit wider turns. 4 rods would make me happy I suppose

I have never understood how with a fish limit that it matters how many poles you are fishing with.

You are right Randy. The only glitch is changing a rule for one lake that does not apply to other lakes in the same state. It will take awhile to work out the details and get a majority on board, or be allowed to make a rule for only one state. We do have time to make this work since the 2019 Proclamation is in effect for 2 years. Hopefully we can make the change and allow a few more rods in 2021.

Two rods are all that I can handel. I troll with downriggers and frequently get doubles. I know in Colorado the reason that was explained to me by the DOW. Is that people have a difficult enough time to only keep their limits, and more rods possibly means more fish. Gunnison is a prime example of folks not following the law. There have several bust in Texas with people selling canned salmon at farmers markets. All of these fish came from Colorado.

I don't think that over fishing is a problem at lake Powell. My the powers that be just like to keep it simple stupid.

Two poles is about as much as I can manage especially using downriggers for salmon. Never used riggers at Powell, sounds like I have been missing out though. Maybe change that up this year!!

After reading the comments I have rethought my answer. With two down riggers I could easily run four to six poles, not sure how I would handle that many fish all at once alone. It would be nice to have that many lines out to see what they want that day but I can only imagine the mess if I went through a big school! I am still sitting on the fence, just because I may not want to run more than two, I don’t think I should be able to tell the rest of you that you can’t. Tough issue to tackle in my opinion. I sure would support those that want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back