One last hurrah

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpslayer

Not that a report will do much good now, but I thought I'd share a little since all we have are stories and pictures for the time being.
I loaded up the rascals and headed up to the Juan April 3-4 to get in a couple days out in the open air with hopes of getting the kids on some bed fishing. I was surprised to find the water temp still in the lower 50's on Friday morning but remembered that the nasty Thursday gales had probably turned the water over pretty good. We had to work pretty hard for bites on Friday morn but the bite improved steadily as the day went on and we managed to figure out a pattern and started whacking the smallies in the deeper water. Found no fish on beds.
Saturday started out about the same but as the warm day got warmer we finally watched the water temp hit 62 and all of a sudden, it was like a switch went off. We had fished non stop for about 14 hours (with an obvious break for required dinner/sleep) with fair to good success but when the switch went off, all I can say is hours #15 and 16 were ones to remember. We caught 80% of our fish and the large majority of the top 20 biggest fish during those two hours. LMB were moving up in droves to bed right before our eyes and SMB were acting like they hadn't eaten in weeks. It's not to often that you hit it just perfect but we did exactly that this time, we were killing it!.....and then from out of no where we were awoken from our dream with the dreaded announcement, it was time to go home...you see, I had only packed enough food and drinks for the two days. After some fun and lively family discussion, boys vs. girl, my lovely daughter stated she was not interested in eating fish and drinking lake water the rest of the trip if we were to stay....and so off we went, leaving a fishing bonanza in our wake...but still smiles from ear to ear!! Already can't wait to get back to normal and get back out on our pond.

Hope all is well with everyone.

Collin

Attachments

• 20200403_153139.jpg
    20200403_153139.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 299
  • 20200404_151345.jpg
    20200404_151345.jpg
    464.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 20200404_164723.jpg
    20200404_164723.jpg
    468.6 KB · Views: 298
  • 20200404_141420.jpg
    20200404_141420.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 292
Not that a report will do much good now, but I thought I'd share a little since all we have are stories and pictures for the time being.
I loaded up the rascals and headed up to the Juan April 3-4 to get in a couple days out in the open air with hopes of getting the kids on some bed fishing. I was surprised to find the water temp still in the lower 50's on Friday morning but remembered that the nasty Thursday gales had probably turned the water over pretty good. We had to work pretty hard for bites on Friday morn but the bite improved steadily as the day went on and we managed to figure out a pattern and started whacking the smallies in the deeper water. Found no fish on beds.
Saturday started out about the same but as the warm day got warmer we finally watched the water temp hit 62 and all of a sudden, it was like a switch went off. We had fished non stop for about 14 hours (with an obvious break for required dinner/sleep) with fair to good success but when the switch went off, all I can say is hours #15 and 16 were ones to remember. We caught 80% of our fish and the large majority of the top 20 biggest fish during those two hours. LMB were moving up in droves to bed right before our eyes and SMB were acting like they hadn't eaten in weeks. It's not to often that you hit it just perfect but we did exactly that this time, we were killing it!.....and then from out of no where we were awoken from our dream with the dreaded announcement, it was time to go home...you see, I had only packed enough food and drinks for the two days. After some fun and lively family discussion, boys vs. girl, my lovely daughter stated she was not interested in eating fish and drinking lake water the rest of the trip if we were to stay....and so off we went, leaving a fishing bonanza in our wake...but still smiles from ear to ear!! Already can't wait to get back to normal and get back out on our pond.

Collin
Some great fish and a great looking family! Congrats for getting them out and experiencing the important things.

Collin
What an awesome experience! That largemouth is a beaut. I'm just kind of a hack bass fisherman so I'm not even sure what I'd be looking for other than maybe the sight of fish in 3-6 feet of water?? Is it common to be able to see fish on beds at lake powell? Are the beds kind of on the sandy shorelines?

Here is a fish report to help you with bass spawning information:

April 21, 2010
Lake Elevation: 3618
Water Temp: 58-66 F

Bass Spawn is ON!

1586450435501.png

Largemouth Bass hovers over rock nest at base of bush

Bass moved onto nests
in shallow, clear water over the weekend. Those lucky enough to be on the lake were treated to an amazing visual display of largemouth bass in 2 feet of water in virtually every canyon on the lake. Some may have missed the event because fish were so shallow they may not have looked at the last few of water behind the row of flooded brush that rings the lake. Largemouth bass consistently build nests at the base of a bush making it even harder to see. But once the first nest is detected they are much easier to find in similar locations

Spawning is triggered when water temperature stays warm overnight and then peaks at 64 degrees after a prolonged calm weather period. Those conditions happened last week with the pleasant weather that prevailed. As this report is written bass have been on the nests 5 days which is the normal amount of time required for eggs to hatch. The looming storm front now will cool the water and move bass off nests. They will remain in close proximity but will not actively guard the nest. When water warms again bass will reoccupy the same nest, spawn a new batch of eggs, and begin the process again.

The second spawn will be more difficult to view as rising lake water level makes the deeper nest less visible. Rising water causes bank sloughing and dirties the water in the shallows further limiting visibility. During May the original nest site may be occupied by the same fish on the third or fourth spawn but water depth over the nest may be as deep as 15-20 feet depending on runoff volume.

Warming sent crappie into the trees to spawn right along with largemouth bass. It is common now to see bass hovering over a nest with crappie hiding in the same brush thicket. Smallmouth bass are building nests along open rock shore line without brush protection. Spawning is in full production now and will continue through the first week of May.

Catching spawning fish is tough if they see you coming. But a long cast with a slow sinking bait like a weightless Senko is more than they stand. Any subtle movement near the nest will be investigated with the offending morsel picked up and moved off the nest site. Remember to return the male nest guardian so the developing eggs and fry will be protected from predation. Next years bass and crappie population depends on survival from nests now in production.

Stripers have responded to warming by moving shallower to look for food. Trolling is still a good way to locate mobile fish but they may be in clear water along the edge of deep water just as often as in the back. During cool weather or in the mornings, casting jerk baits along rocky points or brush lines is very effective once fish are located. Find a school one day and it is very likely that they will return to the same spot at about the same time each day. Understanding their schedule allows one to stay close to a school as they move vertically and horizontally through the daily cycle.

Walleye catch is increasing as bonus fish are caught while trolling or casting for bass and stripers.

Here is a fish report to help you with bass spawning information:

April 21, 2010
Lake Elevation: 3618
Water Temp: 58-66 F

Bass Spawn is ON!

1586450435501.png

Largemouth Bass hovers over rock nest at base of bush

Bass moved onto nests
in shallow, clear water over the weekend. Those lucky enough to be on the lake were treated to an amazing visual display of largemouth bass in 2 feet of water in virtually every canyon on the lake. Some may have missed the event because fish were so shallow they may not have looked at the last few of water behind the row of flooded brush that rings the lake. Largemouth bass consistently build nests at the base of a bush making it even harder to see. But once the first nest is detected they are much easier to find in similar locations

Spawning is triggered when water temperature stays warm overnight and then peaks at 64 degrees after a prolonged calm weather period. Those conditions happened last week with the pleasant weather that prevailed. As this report is written bass have been on the nests 5 days which is the normal amount of time required for eggs to hatch. The looming storm front now will cool the water and move bass off nests. They will remain in close proximity but will not actively guard the nest. When water warms again bass will reoccupy the same nest, spawn a new batch of eggs, and begin the process again.

The second spawn will be more difficult to view as rising lake water level makes the deeper nest less visible. Rising water causes bank sloughing and dirties the water in the shallows further limiting visibility. During May the original nest site may be occupied by the same fish on the third or fourth spawn but water depth over the nest may be as deep as 15-20 feet depending on runoff volume.

Warming sent crappie into the trees to spawn right along with largemouth bass. It is common now to see bass hovering over a nest with crappie hiding in the same brush thicket. Smallmouth bass are building nests along open rock shore line without brush protection. Spawning is in full production now and will continue through the first week of May.

Catching spawning fish is tough if they see you coming. But a long cast with a slow sinking bait like a weightless Senko is more than they stand. Any subtle movement near the nest will be investigated with the offending morsel picked up and moved off the nest site. Remember to return the male nest guardian so the developing eggs and fry will be protected from predation. Next years bass and crappie population depends on survival from nests now in production.

Stripers have responded to warming by moving shallower to look for food. Trolling is still a good way to locate mobile fish but they may be in clear water along the edge of deep water just as often as in the back. During cool weather or in the mornings, casting jerk baits along rocky points or brush lines is very effective once fish are located. Find a school one day and it is very likely that they will return to the same spot at about the same time each day. Understanding their schedule allows one to stay close to a school as they move vertically and horizontally through the daily cycle.

Walleye catch is increasing as bonus fish are caught while trolling or casting for bass and stripers.
Excellent description and a beautiful photo. Thanks Wayne!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back