Old baker ranch site in halls creek

Status
Not open for further replies.

powellobsessed

This year we camped in halls creek almost to the end on the east shore. I was wondering if anyone has been to the old baker ranch site. I remember many years ago we walked to it. I’m curious if anyone has been there for one and a general area where it might be. It was when I was 10 so I have no memory of where To start to find it I know it’s on the west side of the bay. I’ve tried to google map it but could not find any thing on it. I’d love to revisit it next year if it’s still there.

How old are you , I am 55 and been going to Powell since !969 and have not seen it . Powell will be down to about 3586ft in march . maybe its under water.

How old are you , I am 55 and been going to Powell since !969 and have not seen it . Powell will be down to about 3586ft in march . maybe its under water.
I’m 45 this year. I have pictures of it and I believe they were in the mid 80s where the water was at its highest. At that time all I can remember is a cabin like structure and some old farm equipment.

Do you have a copy of the "boaters guide to lake powell" by michael kelsey ? I just looked in my copy as he is really good about notating historical places in the area.

He gets into some detail about it in that book with pictures (stone foundations, equipment , etc)

FYI there is also a "Halls Ranch" about a mile up towards the Halls Narrows , that could be what you are thinking about.

Do you have a copy of the "boaters guide to lake powell" by michael kelsey ? I just looked in my copy as he is really good about notating historical places in the area.

He gets into some detail about it in that book with pictures (stone foundations, equipment , etc)

FYI there is also a "Halls Ranch" about a mile up towards the Halls Narrows , that could be what you are thinking about.
I wasn’t aware of the book I’ll definitely get one. That might be the place I’m thinking of. Thank you.

I remember the Baker Ranch cabin. Our family had a houseboat bought in 1973 at Bullfrog and we always went to the back of Halls Creek to camp.

Back then as 10 year old kids our dad let us kid take the 14' boat with 20hp Mercury out by ourselves, so we explored that area and hiked everywhere. The cabin was there and we even made a special trip to see the water lapping at its foundation one time. Lots of bluegill were caught there by us in the trees, usually without any bait, just the hook as those fish were hungry.

The family homesteaded 600 acres and even built a dam in Halls, for irrigation water. Also there was a workshop and the foundation might be recognizable still today if you know where to look.

You can still see the fence posts and barb wire around the area in the back of Halls Creek, as the kids and I camped back there two years ago and I saw them.

I believe the family struggled for years and finally gave up, and in turn it was bought by a group of men for a hunting area who in turn sold it to the government/Lake Powell project.

This is all by memory so I hope I got it right.

My copy is dog-eared, we used to take it with us to Powell every summer.

I remember the Baker Ranch cabin. Our family had a houseboat bought in 1973 at Bullfrog and we always went to the back of Halls Creek to camp.

Back then as 10 year old kids our dad let us kid take the 14' boat with 20hp Mercury out by ourselves, so we explored that area and hiked everywhere. The cabin was there and we even made a special trip to see the water lapping at its foundation one time. Lots of bluegill were caught there by us in the trees, usually without any bait, just the hook as those fish were hungry.

The family homesteaded 600 acres and even built a dam in Halls, for irrigation water. Also there was a workshop and the foundation might be recognizable still today if you know where to look.

You can still see the fence posts and barb wire around the area in the back of Halls Creek, as the kids and I camped back there two years ago and I saw them.

I believe the family struggled for years and finally gave up, and in turn it was bought by a group of men for a hunting area who in turn sold it to the government/Lake Powell project.

This is all by memory so I hope I got it right.
I probably remember the same site. Thank you for the posts. With the water low I’m going to find it next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back