Off Shore Fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Transplant

Hello out there. Any suggestions for off shore fishing during the winter? I moved here in June and have been able to catch a handful of fish off shore near Antelope Marina. But that was when it was warmer. I went to the same spot today and had nothing. I don't know a lot about fishing, so any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like you got your feet wet with shore fishing when it was warmer. There is some really good info on shore fishing when its warmer. I am not sure about the info available for shore fishing in the winter?

Hello out there. Any suggestions for off shore fishing during the winter? I moved here in June and have been able to catch a handful of fish off shore near Antelope Marina. But that was when it was warmer. I went to the same spot today and had nothing. I don't know a lot about fishing, so any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are very few shore fishermen out on the banks of the southern lake until March. I fish deep water in the winter looking for striper schools. However, on a day when the water warms under direct sun, sometimes small and largemouth bass will come up shallow looking for shad or crayfish. During these warming events it is possible to check the habitat in the backs of canyons where bass can come up quickly from deep water and cruise around shallow structures before going deep once more. The easiest way to describe this for shore fishing is to look for a rocky structure or an island surrounded by deep water. It would take a real hike along the lakes cliff-bound shoreline to make that happen. But if you found a spot you could drive to, such as Lone Rock or the back of Warm Creek then your fishing experience would improve.

Perhaps if you changed your strategy even more, you may find more catching opportunities with a float tube or similar device which allows you to move to structures out of casting distance but which could be reached by a few minutes of effort while paddling or stroking in the water.

I am really glad I have a boat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back