Oct 5- Oct 11 2019 Wahweap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete Roberts

My uncle and I fished out of Wahweap for one week. Early in the week we ran all the way to Oak Canyon, stopping to fish some rock slides along the way. While we caught a few fish we were disappointed not to find fish in Oak. Early in the week the weather was hot, we fished Ned Rigs, Zoom Speed-Craws some top water baits but were not finding many fish shallow. I think we caught 18 fish the first day. We started fishing deeper as we talked to other anglers the word was the bass were in 18-25 feet of water. Another angler we met mid week said he was catching big smb fishing a Yamamoto Hula grub "greenpumkin" in 25 ft. He said he had a couple of bass in the 4 lbs range. I switched to the Hula grub and started fishing deeper and we started catching more fish. One day we had 32 fish mostly smb, in Last Chance, about half way back. We fished rock slides on either side of Last Chance and in the back of some of the coves. Here is what we found remarkable about this trip, !. You had to work for your fish, but the majority of the fish were strong healthy footballs! 2. we did not see but one striper boil, and it was short lived. I think we were in Gun Sight caynon. Most fish were 12-14", everyday we had at least one smb that was 17" and our big fish was 18". Having said that we moved to deeper water, we did find some of the bigger fish in shallow water. I caught 2-3 fish each day on top water baits, Sammy, or Chug Bug. I caught some fish on a 4" white swin bait and some on a minnow stick bait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back