Status
Not open for further replies.

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
October 1, 2006 - Wayne Gustaveson

Lake Elevation: 3601

Oak Creek Canyon accessed from Oak Bay

wg2in1.jpg
When fishing is slow I sometimes hike. I have to admit I haven't had much time for hiking the past few years because the fishing is awesome. I caught these two in sight of the floating restroom in Oak Bay. We camped around the corner in the mouth of Oak Canyon where we decided to hike the next morning. Boat to the lake end and hike up the small stream bed.

oakhike1.jpg
There is some water in the creek year round but it goes under ground occasionally and splits in two forks. Hike up the left hand fork as far as possible. Its possible to go overland where the trail is obvious or to follow the creek bed. The water course is a cooler more interesting hike.

oakhike2.jpg
Fall rains and the moisture from the stream have made a riparian zone that includes spring flowers. The hike is very scenic but can be hot after mid day. Take lots of water.

oakhike3.jpg
About 2 miles up the left fork the stream is very hard to follow due to the rapid increase in elevation. The stream forms some plunge pools that are difficult to scramble up due to slick rocks and very tight riparian vegetation. This large willow pasture is best traversed by walking at the edge of the sandstone cliff on the left hand sided of the picture. The willows are almost impassable as the stream has gone underground here forming a wet meadow.

oakhike4.jpg
Look toward the right fork of the stream at this point. Key in on the small rainbow arch imitation. Beyond this arch the right hand fork canyon forms a dead end box canyon.

oakhike5.jpg
The canyon is marked by oak thickets, and a breathtaking sandstone cliff wall. This overlook is a logical place to stop and view the canyon. There is a stream bed in the bottom that appears nearly inaccessible.

oakhike6.jpg
A closer look at the skyline shows a notch where flash floods have carved a groove to allow water to plummet over the edge. It strikes in a groove under the notch which is visible from the overlook.

oakhike7.jpg
But some wish to get a closer look at the very end of the canyon. The stream bed is in perpetual shade. If planning to go into the stream bed a rope would be a welcome tool. The drop is about 10 feet at the only logical point to enter the right fork canyon.

oakhike8.jpg
There is a perennial stream that keeps the rock stream bed wet and very slick from the moss that grows over the rock. Oak and willow brush require 50 yards of bushwhacking to get through the bottom land. Ambient air temperature is 10-15 degrees less in the shade of the cliff than it is during the overland hike. Its a very welcome change.

Interesting side note: The red leaf plants are most likely poison ivy which are not supposed to grow in the desert at this elevation. But (scratch ...scratch) I am quite sure they really are poison ivy.....

oakhike9.jpg
Finally, at the end of the canyon a giant plunge pool appears making the arduous hike worth the effort to find it. It is about 300 feet below the slot and groove in the rim. The stream appears to start from the plunge pool. It may be that the pool is only there following a rain storm. I am not sure about its duration. The cliff wall is constantly wet and a perfect garden spot for the largest fern garden I have seen in the Glen Canyon area.

oakhike10.jpg
We named the spot the "Oak Canyon Reflecting Pool". It is perfectly still and provides a 360-degree reflecting view of any of the surrounding structures. Here is the shady view of the wet wall.

oakhike11.jpg
Comparing that to the better lighting on the far side of the pool.
The stillness, beauty, degree of difficulty and feeling that no one else has ever seen this feature make this hike one of the most remarkable in this area of very grand hikes.

oakhikebush.jpg
Oh yes, This little bush was the only handhold that allowed us to drop into right hand fork and scramble along along a very thin slick rock ledge. Once in the stream bed the beautiful vista awaits just around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back