North or Mid-Lake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
So, the million dollar question. Heading out tomorrow, fishing through Saturday, home on Sunday. Staying in the slips in Bullfrog.

I don't mind running either direction for the day. So, would you recommend north or south? I would prefer to catch walleyes, but I am not overly picky.

Will be in my little 16' Lund. Say hello if you see me.

I am down fishing out of Bullfrog as well. However, I have the whole family and my brother and his family down. So as much as I would just like to fish, we are going to be doing some kayaking, paddle boarding, wave runners and a bit of pulling a tube / wake board behind the boat. So with that said, we are likely sticking close to bullfrog all week rather than running up or down lake very far. With today's weather forecast we are staying off the water, but tomorrow I think we will try bait with some of the young kids that have no fishing experience. Yesterday we mostly trolled (again had a bunch of my brothers kids with no experience) and caught half a dozen walleye and about a dozen stripers. Maybe we'll bump into you in the next day or two...

Thanks Wayne. I think I know what we will try tomorrow.

Hopefully the cold front doesn't kill the bite.

Maybe it was just us, but the fishing was pretty slow today.

Started trying for stripers near Moki. Only got one. Lots of folks fishing, I didn't see much catching.

We then went to the mouth of Hansen. Didn't try long, and didn't get anything.

Then went towards Knowles. Fished there for quite a while hitting some rock piles on the main channel. Wasn't great.

Saw the storm coming again so we headed back and into the slip by 430.

Now going some houseboat maintenance.

Cleaned 4 stripes 2 walleye and 1 bluegill that swallowed the hook.

Caught a number of other bluegills and some very small smb.

Hoping the weather and fishing improves for is tomorrow.

But at least we are here and not in the snow in Denver.

Well, we fished from about 9 am to about 1 pm. We pretty much set up shop on the north side of Moki and chummed. We did a bit better than you did today as we managed 36 stripers and 1 walleye. I had my brother, his wife and 3 of his girls and none of his girls had ever fished before so it was fun to watch them catch some fish.

If anybody catches a striper with a line and rod and reel attached to it, then please let me know! One pulled one into the lake while I was jumping back and forth baiting hooks, and cutting chovies! That's an awfully frustrating and expensive mistake!

We watched that plane land on the water. It was pretty cool to see.

I thought that might have been you at Moki @mtnpull

We heard your girls catch a few (we were on the other side of the mouth). They squealed pretty loudly a couple times.

mtnpull, i've been reading your exploits for awhile now and I've got to tell you. You crack me up and I dig it. The kids must love you!
Well, we fished from about 9 am to about 1 pm. We pretty much set up shop on the north side of Moki and chummed. We did a bit better than you did today as we managed 36 stripers and 1 walleye. I had my brother, his wife and 3 of his girls and none of his girls had ever fished before so it was fun to watch them catch some fish.

If anybody catches a striper with a line and rod and reel attached to it, then please let me know! One pulled one into the lake while I was jumping back and forth baiting hooks, and cutting chovies! That's an awfully frustrating and expensive mistake!

We watched that plane land on the water. It was pretty cool to see.

mtnpull, i've been reading your exploits for awhile now and I've got to tell you. You crack me up and I dig it. The kids must love you!

Hahaha, I'm actually a pretty boring person. I just have 5 kids that run me ragged most the times. After this last week of messing around with paddle boards, wave runners and keeping my brother and his (7) kids entertained I need some time just fishing! Luckily my wife is pretty awesome and she'll take my two youngest girls home tomorrow and I'm extending the trip till Tuesday. Me and my boys will get a chance to just fish for a couple of days!

So, here is the rest of my report.

I believe the storm really put the kibosh on the fishing.

Friday, we went up lake, to the North end of GHB. Tried all the spots that were fantastic for walleye and SMB last spring, and got nothing. Water was more stained than last year.

Went south and tried Cedar (still cloudy), Knowles (very clear, much more boat traffic), and Hansen. No luck. Ended the day around the mouth confluence of Moki and the main channel. I could see the schools of shad on the sonar, but didn't see any big fish around them. Watched a few boats using anchovies, but they weren't catching anything either. Tried resorting to trolling along the canyon wall, and didn't get anything there either.

I think we finished that day with a mixed bag of 5 keepers (a few SMB, walleye, and striper).

Saturday, we went south. I planned on going all the way in Rincon, but we stopped at a rock pile just outside of Slick Rock. We worked that bank a few times, and it seemed promising as we caught a number of SMB (very short), but they turned off about 10 or 1030. We worked through Slick Rock, once again found the school of shad, but again, didn't see any large fish on the graph. We were able to catch a few stripers out of that school, but the breeze came up, and with my iPilot on the fritz, it was hard to stay over the school.

We then moved to the mouth of Annies. Found the school. Caught a few stripers on anchovies, but again, fishing was slow.

Others on the dock, and at the ANS check station reported similar results. We only spoke with 1 individual who said they did OK on stripers - catching 36 at the mouth of Moki, using a whole anchovy.

But even if the fishing wasn't very good, we still had a good time. We never got blown off the lake, and I got time to fish with my father. Never can get enough of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back