North(ish) End, 10/4 - 10/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Found out that my company won't let me carry vacation into the new year, so I was forced to use up some time.

My wife, father, his friend, and I decided that a Powell trip was in order. Houseboat stayed in the slip, so the Malibu was our primary mode of transportation.

We did very little fishing, really only from the slips. And that wasn't very productive. I used my green light (an Alumaglow, which I am not very happy with, but that is another story), and it failed to produce. One morning when I was up at 5 am, I was able to catch a few. Very slow, other than that. The fisherman on the docks at night that I spoke with reported the same.

We went as far south as Rincon, and as far north as GHB. Didn't see a single boil while we were there.

I think we caught the weather right - just between cool fronts. But it is amazing how fall changes the feel of the air. Temps started in the 50's. But by mid-day, my thermometer read mid 80's. But it never felt that warm. Just a little breeze, or moving in the boat made it feel like we needed a sweatshirt.

Same could be said for the water. It read 70 in the morning when we got going. Saw temps all the way up to 78*. But it sure felt cool when we got in.

Just a few photos this time.

Coming over Eisenhower, there was a lot of snow on top of the pass (this was on 10/3, so before the most recent storm). Ski areas had snow as well.

This shows a bit of a conflict between what season I thought it was, and what season Mother Nature thinks it is. I am afraid she is going to win this one.
zKgn4Lt.jpg

We spent some time in Lost Eden. It was nice and peaceful, with only a few other boats coming through.
PUI1qmL.jpg

As everyone here knows, photos just do not do justice to the beauty of Powell. This was the end of the canyon in Crystal Springs. There is a boulder that fell down between the two walls. In person, you could see the blue ski under it. Didn't quite show up in the photos though.
P42itOX.jpg

And we did a little surfing in the Rincon.
JgIpqa5.jpg

7Lume4k.jpg

I'd really like to do one more trip to the lake in November. But I think that is a long shot. So, this might be the final trip this year. Hate to complain, but 5 trips isn't enough. Very jealous of everyone that is able to spend more time at my favorite place than I can.

You can see the blue sky under that rock in the reflection on the water. thanks for the pictures, going to have to get up there next week for a few days. It will be my last chance this year.

Thanks for a great Lake Powell "fix"! We are going down hopefully the 17th for about 10 days. We can't wait!

Found out that my company won't let me carry vacation into the new year, so I was forced to use up some time.

My wife, father, his friend, and I decided that a Powell trip was in order. Houseboat stayed in the slip, so the Malibu was our primary mode of transportation.

We did very little fishing, really only from the slips. And that wasn't very productive. I used my green light (an Alumaglow, which I am not very happy with, but that is another story), and it failed to produce. One morning when I was up at 5 am, I was able to catch a few. Very slow, other than that. The fisherman on the docks at night that I spoke with reported the same.

We went as far south as Rincon, and as far north as GHB. Didn't see a single boil while we were there.

I think we caught the weather right - just between cool fronts. But it is amazing how fall changes the feel of the air. Temps started in the 50's. But by mid-day, my thermometer read mid 80's. But it never felt that warm. Just a little breeze, or moving in the boat made it feel like we needed a sweatshirt.

Same could be said for the water. It read 70 in the morning when we got going. Saw temps all the way up to 78*. But it sure felt cool when we got in.

Just a few photos this time.

Coming over Eisenhower, there was a lot of snow on top of the pass (this was on 10/3, so before the most recent storm). Ski areas had snow as well.

This shows a bit of a conflict between what season I thought it was, and what season Mother Nature thinks it is. I am afraid she is going to win this one.
zKgn4Lt.jpg

We spent some time in Lost Eden. It was nice and peaceful, with only a few other boats coming through.
PUI1qmL.jpg

As everyone here knows, photos just do not do justice to the beauty of Powell. This was the end of the canyon in Crystal Springs. There is a boulder that fell down between the two walls. In person, you could see the blue ski under it. Didn't quite show up in the photos though.
P42itOX.jpg

And we did a little surfing in the Rincon.
JgIpqa5.jpg

7Lume4k.jpg

I'd really like to do one more trip to the lake in November. But I think that is a long shot. So, this might be the final trip this year. Hate to complain, but 5 trips isn't enough. Very jealous of everyone that is able to spend more time at my favorite place than I can.
Great Pictures. Thanks. You guys are getting pretty good on the wake surfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back