North end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wet1

A bit late posting this report. Had another great trip to the north end last week even with the crazy weather. Camped in Red Canyon starting Wednesday until Sunday morning. Fished Thur - Sat and 2 of us ended up with over 100 fish. Caught 8 species this trip, usual suspects Smallies, Large mouth, Stripers, Crappie, and Walleye along with War Mouth, catfish, and bluegill. Majority of fish caught were walleye (60) and crappie (32). Fishing was slower the first couple days but as the water warmed up to 61 Sat afternoon it really picked up. Funny thing about the cold front on Thur night/Fri. The rain finally quit about 2:00pm and the sun came out. Fishing had been slow but steady up to then and shut off once the sun came out. Water was very green in Good Hope and Red on arrival Wed and by the time we left Sun morning it had really cleared up. Not sure why unless the cold front slowed down the runoff.....

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_193644.jpg
    IMG_20180421_193644.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 123
  • Shore Lunch.jpg
    Shore Lunch.jpg
    801.9 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1436.jpg
    IMG_1436.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20180420_174744.jpg
    IMG_20180420_174744.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 122
Looking for an area on Powell to crappie fish out of a kayak! Would This Red Canyon you were at be hard to access? I would like to camp out of a 20 ft travel trailer if possible but would be willing to sleep in the back of my truck if I had to. How hard is it to get back in there and how far would someone have to paddle to get into some crappie? TIA for any info!

Looking for an area on Powell to crappie fish out of a kayak! Would This Red Canyon you were at be hard to access? I would like to camp out of a 20 ft travel trailer if possible but would be willing to sleep in the back of my truck if I had to. How hard is it to get back in there and how far would someone have to paddle to get into some crappie? TIA for any info!
For camping and Kayak fishing Farley's or Blue Notch would be your best bets. There is lots of info on this board about both locations if you do a search. Either place you'll have a great time, especially in May.

If you want to use the camper, you should go to Farley canyon and fish in both Farley and White(first canyon South). If you want to "rough it" Blue Notch is good with fewer people around. We've been launching our 17' StarCraft at Farley since March 21 with no problems, but there are some big rocks showing up in the launch so it's getting a little dicey for trailer launching. Looks like the weather is cooperating for us to go back the weekend of the 5th-6th. White was just starting to warm up last weekend and the crappie were starting to build their nests. We caught an even mix of pre-spawn females and nest building/guarding males. We didn't catch nearly as many as normal, and we've been down pretty regularly so the best is yet to come.

If you want to use the camper, you should go to Farley canyon and fish in both Farley and White(first canyon South). If you want to "rough it" Blue Notch is good with fewer people around. We've been launching our 17' StarCraft at Farley since March 21 with no problems, but there are some big rocks showing up in the launch so it's getting a little dicey for trailer launching. Looks like the weather is cooperating for us to go back the weekend of the 5th-6th. White was just starting to warm up last weekend and the crappie were starting to build their nests. We caught an even mix of pre-spawn females and nest building/guarding males. We didn't catch nearly as many as normal, and we've been down pretty regularly so the best is yet to come.
Thanks for the reply! So there is room for a small, 20 ft travel trailer at Farley’s fairly close to a spot to launch a kayak? Looking at early May arrival!

Depends on your definition of close. There is no way to get a camp trailer down to the lake, maybe close enough to see it. Some guys take their trailers over the "hill"(you'll know it when you see it), to get within about 500 yards of the water, but it's rougher than I want to drag my camper. We camp in the gravel area near the bathrooms, and drive over to the lake/launch each morning(being sure not to block the "launch"(which is just where the road meets the water). 4WD/High Clearance is not required to get to the launch, but I would suggest it(I've seen Subarus in there regularly and a Toyota sedan was parked past the "hill" last weekend).

Depends on your definition of close. There is no way to get a camp trailer down to the lake, maybe close enough to see it. Some guys take their trailers over the "hill"(you'll know it when you see it), to get within about 500 yards of the water, but it's rougher than I want to drag my camper. We camp in the gravel area near the bathrooms, and drive over to the lake/launch each morning(being sure not to block the "launch"(which is just where the road meets the water). 4WD/High Clearance is not required to get to the launch, but I would suggest it(I've seen Subarus in there regularly and a Toyota sedan was parked past the "hill" last weekend).
Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back