North end slurps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outside

I'm 3 weeks out from my trip to HC, a highlight of every fishing season!, and already getting too excited. Just curious when the first sighting of surface feeding happens this year.

They are slurping now! Saw a number of slurps yesterday. For those who fish slurps what are the best things to throw at them? A small kastmaster?

They are slurping now! Saw a number of slurps yesterday. For those who fish slurps what are the best things to throw at them? A small kastmaster?
Those work great for me, plus you can get long and accurate casts and fish it at any depth. My absolute favorite though is on fly rod!

I saw a slurp just outside the tire barrier at Bullfrog ramp today at 8:30 AM. We followed it a bit while I frantically rigged and cast a top water popper (no results) and a Kastmaster. Nothing. I talked to the biologist at the fish cleaning station at Bullfrog, he said they fished a slurp today uplake( not as far as GHB) got only two. They seem picky at the moment. Neither party had anchovies. That might have made a difference.

I saw a slurp just outside the tire barrier at Bullfrog ramp today at 8:30 AM. We followed it a bit while I frantically rigged and cast a top water popper (no results) and a Kastmaster. Nothing. I talked to the biologist at the fish cleaning station at Bullfrog, he said they fished a slurp today uplake( not as far as GHB) got only two. They seem picky at the moment. Neither party had anchovies. That might have made a difference.
Seems to me trolling deep divers should produce steady fishing. If the walleyes don’t cooperate this weekend I’ll give it a shot

Just a few tips I have learned. Last year we killed the slurps on Maniac 3" minnows on a light jig head (light enough to make the presentation small, but still able to make a decent cast). Silver holographic and white pearl were the best, but they may want different from day to day. Definately use the electric trolling motor if you have one. Make sure to position the boat to get them crossing from left to right. Don't try to stage yourself in-front of them, they will sound before they get to you. DO NOT cast into the slurp, they will spook from the sound of the lure hitting the water. I like to cast 10-15' ahead and past the slurp and drag the lure through the zone as they arrive to the spot. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
We saw a few different slurps up in the San Juan last weekend. We were able to pickup some stripers from them on whopper ploppers.

Last edited by a moderator:
... but they may want different from day to day. ....
... They seem picky at the moment. ....
They can definitely be picky. I'll have a day with only a few fish which can be frustrating. But when they cooperate like two seasons ago in the little bay across from DR with continuous slurps surrounding me for the morning, it is amazing....

We have figured out the slurps pretty well and they seem to be different from day to day and canyon to canyon but one thing always holds true is to cast in front of the school. I started running a scatterrap through it and started to pick up bigger fish that were underneath them last year which never happened previous years. I like a small top water bait with lighter line but casting is sometimes difficult. small jig with a white curly tail is decent as well. and of course a small kastmaster works good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back