North End October 19-22nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dungee

Keeper of San Juan Secrets
Sorry for the delay, was going to post this morning but the site was down.

We fished the far north end October 19th-22nd. We had mixed results and I'd say the fishing overall was tough but it was another good experience and trip. We seem to struggle a lot more on the fall pattern than say spring. With the drastic changes in temps, water levels and clarity it wasnt too surprising to find fish deep and shallow. Our best pattern was probably finding really shallow Largemouth. There is a million little Largies cruising around. Over two and a half days I think we ended up with around 100 fish. 3 Stripers, 2 Walleye, and the rest bass, probably 60/40 largies to smallies so that was a good sign. We mostly pounded bank but did try spooning for a bit again, we did see shad but only had one potential hit on spoons. Trolling for half an hour also produced nada? Definitely not our specialty though with spooning.

Cranks in craw patterns, grubs, senkos and spider jigs all produced. Water temps were 62 in the morning and got to around 64 in the afternoons. We saw quite a few other boats for this time of year so maybe others can chime in with different patterns/experiences. One interesting note, we did see another rock slide on the steep bank opposite Scorup which was cool. That is our third one. I know this isnt the greatest report but ask any questions you might have and Ill chime in. We will try for a winter spooning trip but will most likely end up back in March.

Preston

92E39580-6FDA-4A68-AD82-B3405F697A47.jpeg
3C501D40-7AF8-48C0-B11D-9088EE4D409A.jpeg
14A7F114-7581-42DD-A454-55F9BA9E6FD4.jpeg
53D7D95F-A26A-4B26-8DFA-323F121AE025.jpeg
A7303E57-CE3E-43E5-97AA-E020F0DE982E.jpeg
Muppet smally

Thanks for the report. We are heading north the 25th thru the 28th and probably camp near Red Canyon. We will target green fish but I want to get more time and experience with using the finders to try and target schools. Will be in a green and white Starcraft with Mercs if anyone else is making a GHB run. It’s always nice to meet folks in boats and share info. Preston, Did you run north of GHB and Scorup and get to Trachyte? With all the rain is water discolored further north?

Thanks for the report and pictures Preston!
Not sure if we will make it one more time, or we are done for 18...but seeing your pictures sure gets us thinking.
If the weather cooperates, maybe we can make one more!

We fished the north end from the 19th to the 23rd. Although we camped in Red Canyon, we did almost all of our fishing in the mouth of Trachyte where the river hits the lake. Stripers were active along the mud line. Trachyte itself was pretty muddy and we had limited success there. Better report will be coming soon. We also saw several boats head up the river to what we imagined was to get into White Canyon but don't know. Those boats would head up and out of sight and spend a lot of time somewhere upstream from Trachyte. They were braver than us!

We fished the north end from the 19th to the 23rd. Although we camped in Red Canyon, we did almost all of our fishing in the mouth of Trachyte where the river hits the lake. Stripers were active along the mud line. Trachyte itself was pretty muddy and we had limited success there. Better report will be coming soon. We also saw several boats head up the river to what we imagined was to get into White Canyon but don't know. Those boats would head up and out of sight and spend a lot of time somewhere upstream from Trachyte. They were braver than us!

Stuart was that you coming back slowly down the channel after dark Sunday night?

Thanks for the report. We are heading north the 25th thru the 28th and probably camp near Red Canyon. We will target green fish but I want to get more time and experience with using the finders to try and target schools. Will be in a green and white Starcraft with Mercs if anyone else is making a GHB run. It’s always nice to meet folks in boats and share info. Preston, Did you run north of GHB and Scorup and get to Trachyte? With all the rain is water discolored further north?

Didn’t fish up past scorup. Water was pretty stained from the rain Saturday, down to around a couple feet. Sunday it was cleared up again.

No. We were in a Ranger Reata and came back each evening before dark around 6:30. We saw those boats coming in after dark as well. One looked to be a pontoon boat.

Didn’t fish up past scorup. Water was pretty stained from the rain Saturday, down to around a couple feet. Sunday it was cleared up again.

The water was stained, but there was no mudline to speak of until you hit the Colorado. Fishing for stripers was fantastic along the edge in water from 30' to 5'. Water temp went from 63 degrees in the green water to 58 degrees in the brown. Stripers were chasing shad all over in the brown water on Sunday when the lake went glassy.

Here is a "teaser" until I can get the report up:

Thanks for the report, I was playing with the idea of a late trip but not sure time will allow it this year. Always nice to hear a report on current conditions.

Last edited:
My wife and I got back yesterday evening after spending 3 days in four mile. Weather was beautiful and the fishing good. I was fishing rubble points with crawfish imitations and drop shot minnows. The smallmouths were good ones, outnumbering the smaller fish. Afternoon and late afternoon were the seemed best On the outside curve at the horn I caught about a 26 inch tiger Muskie on a dop shot minnow. It didn’t put up much of a fight just kind of moved off slowly like a big carp.. I released it thinking it was a tiger Muskie but not really knowing for sure what is was until we googled it last night. We couldn’t get a picture, the I-pad (along with the flashlights) was left in the truck. Very little wind the whole trip, just enough for a drift. Lots of dew in the am because of recent moisture and chilly mornings. We’re glad we took the tent. We went up to the mouth of Trachyte and were thinking about going into White but the swirling mud/sand was spooky. The lakemaster map said 20-25 and sonar was returning 6. The water was like glass Sunday heading back to Bullfrog. Great fall fishing/camping trip.

With your link my wife and I recognize it as the tiger Muskie also with the research we did sunday, Most the pictures on the net were of trophies though. It sure had distinct bars just like some smallies have the distinct bars. Kinda of colored like a walleye with darker bars.

Tiger Muskie are a hybrid that have been stocked in some lakes , I don`t think they were ever stocked in Powell . Most likely a Pike .

Tiger Muskie are a hybrid that have been stocked in some lakes , I don`t think they were ever stocked in Powell . Most likely a Pike .

I would agree that the odds are higher that it was a pike. However, numerous upstream lakes have had tiger musky stocked -- so it isn't out of the question that a TM could show up in Lake Powell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back