NMEA emabled radios at Lake Powell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave I.

Escalante-Class Member
Maybe a loaded question but here it goes anyways.

I just bought a Garmin chartplotter capable of NMEA transmission with the connection to the VHF radio. Of course there is the obvious of radio reception but my real question is if Lake Powell services are set up to receive a NMEA distress signal if the "little red button" does need to get pressed by anyone on my boat?

Also always wondered if other boaters will get the distress call on their VHF radios and can relay the information. Usually only the wife & I and she's not real keen on the operation of the boat.

I just bought a Garmin chartplotter capable of NMEA transmission with the connection to the VHF radio. Of course there is the obvious of radio reception but my real question is if Lake Powell services are set up to receive a NMEA distress signal if the "little red button" does need to get pressed by anyone on my boat?

Hey Dave,
Just a slight correction to what you wrote, your thinking DSC not NMEA.

The NMEA spec is for communication between your devices on your boat (Chart plotter talking to your VHF, Auto Pilot, ect.)

DSC is the spec for rf communication between your radio and other radios (think of it as a text message between radios, can be a Distress call with your MMSI and location, or a "Individual" call which for example can ring your buddys boat and tell them you want to talk on channel 68.

If you connect your VHF to your chart plotter, when you receive "Distress Calls" or non emergency "Position Reports" from other boats, the location of the other boat will display on your chart plotter (usually your chart plotter will pop a window "Do you want to navigate to this position?" type of thing.

Neat stuff, let us know if you need help hooking it up.

Also, while we are talking about DSC, how are you going to test your new radio and chart plotter?

Please refer to the post below I wrote, I'm kind of hurt no one has replied yet... :)

Also, while we are talking about DSC, how are you going to test your new radio and chart plotter?

Please refer to the post below I wrote, I'm kind of hurt no one has replied yet... :)

You make it sound easy. My radio is a uniden and I will try to research how to set it up. I agree it would be nice to be able to test them. I have a friend who lives close enough to test each other’s radio and we just have not taken the time to set them up. Keep after the group and maybe you can shame us into getting it done. I did try the WW channel a couple of weeks ago but no response. Thanks for sharing your communication knowledge with us! Dave

Typically 3 wires for a chartplotter. 1. Connect ground/common together. 2. Connect output (+) of Plotter to Input (-) of vhf. This provides gps data to your vhf radio. 3. Connect output (+) of vhf to input (-) of chartplotter. This provides distress location from vhf to your chart plotter. The barrier terminal strip in the attached picture work well to attach the small wires.

Once you have the wires connected, you need to ensure both radio and chartplotter are set to the same speed, 4800 baud is standard.

They sure could if made this easier by specifying a common connector/plug. Unfortunately they didn't, so every manufacturer has different colored wires and no connector. This is considered the biggest failure of DSC, as less than 10% of radios are connected...

Attachments

• 41IQmCgiETL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    41IQmCgiETL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Typically 3 wires for a chartplotter. 1. Connect ground/common together. 2. Connect output (+) of Plotter to Input (-) of vhf. This provides gps data to your vhf radio. 3. Connect output (+) of vhf to input (-) of chartplotter. This provides distress location from vhf to your chart plotter. The barrier terminal strip in the attached picture work well to attach the small wires.
Thank you!

Hey Dave,
Just a slight correction to what you wrote, your thinking DSC not NMEA.

The NMEA spec is for communication between your devices on your boat (Chart plotter talking to your VHF, Auto Pilot, ect.)

DSC is the spec for rf communication between your radio and other radios (think of it as a text message between radios, can be a Distress call with your MMSI and location, or a "Individual" call which for example can ring your buddys boat and tell them you want to talk on channel 68.

If you connect your VHF to your chart plotter, when you receive "Distress Calls" or non emergency "Position Reports" from other boats, the location of the other boat will display on your chart plotter (usually your chart plotter will pop a window "Do you want to navigate to this position?" type of thing.

Neat stuff, let us know if you need help hooking it up.
Thanks for the info. My VHF radio and the chart plotter both have a 4 wire connection and the new chart plotter came with the proper cable to connect the 2 together. Haven't even started to look at the manual for the chartplotter yet. It's one of those new fang dangled ones that "Learn" and store the bottom as you go across it. A lot more to it than the "I see fish" fishfinders. lol

On another note I can't always be right. How boring would that be. lol Thanks for the correction Grant.

Once you have the wires connected, you need to ensure both radio and chartplotter are set to the same speed, 4800 baud is standard.

They sure could if made this easier by specifying a common connector/plug. Unfortunately they didn't, so every manufacturer has different colored wires and no connector. This is considered the biggest failure of DSC, as less than 10% of radios are connected...
This state of the art chartplotter that I bought does come with a cable to connect to the VHF radio so no connection strips to connect to or corrode. Unbelievably, the 10 year old VHF radio I have also has the plug. From what I can tell, Just plug the 2 pieces together then read the manual to see if there is any programming to be done.

The Chartplotter I bought is this one: https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-echoMAP-CHIRP-transducer-010-01799-01/dp/B01M2YMPDR. Seems to be a decent unit for the price. Don't even have it installed yet. lol

Hey Dave, please post what model Uniden VHF you have. The Garmin supports both NMEA2000 or NMEA0183. I would expect your Uniden will only support NMEA0183, in which you will need to connect to the black, brown and blue wire's coming out of the wire harness on the Garmin.

FYI. No cell service needed anyware . If you are off the grid and worried about communication with remote family anywhere or SOS 24/hr GEOS emergency “anywhere except in a cave for instance” on lake powell on the boat or off / hiking trails/ on a mountain / the ocean what ever. and provides your detailed color map lat and long of your location Look at garmin inReach SE or explorer or the new garmin 66i. These are packable devices This is gps mapping for personal use as well as with satellite text and SOS and weather. It requires a subscription but you can turn it on or off per month as I do. For instance from my inReach I can send a text from anywhere on lake powell To a cell phone And the party willl get my message with a detail detailed color map downloaded to there cell. Or you can set your inReach to ping your location on a schedule. Your remote family can log in and see where you are or been on lake powell You can tie it to social media if not worried about your privacy and being away. We have 3 between friends and family 2 SE’s and one employer. They talk to each other in any remote location as well as any ones cell or email. And if emergency happens it’s a two steps , flip the switch and press the button to reach GEOS You can also blue tooth it to your cell and download maps free to tie it into your inReach so you can look at you location on your personal cell. Again no cell service needed. Have fun

Hey Dave, please post what model Uniden VHF you have. The Garmin supports both NMEA2000 or NMEA0183. I would expect your Uniden will only support NMEA0183, in which you will need to connect to the black, brown and blue wire's coming out of the wire harness on the Garmin.
I have the Uniden Oceanus DSC.

FYI. No cell service needed anyware . If you are off the grid and worried about communication with remote family anywhere or SOS 24/hr GEOS emergency “anywhere except in a cave for instance” on lake powell on the boat or off / hiking trails/ on a mountain / the ocean what ever. and provides your detailed color map lat and long of your location Look at garmin inReach SE or explorer or the new garmin 66i. These are packable devices This is gps mapping for personal use as well as with satellite text and SOS and weather. It requires a subscription but you can turn it on or off per month as I do. For instance from my inReach I can send a text from anywhere on lake powell To a cell phone And the party willl get my message with a detail detailed color map downloaded to there cell. Or you can set your inReach to ping your location on a schedule. Your remote family can log in and see where you are or been on lake powell You can tie it to social media if not worried about your privacy and being away. We have 3 between friends and family 2 SE’s and one employer. They talk to each other in any remote location as well as any ones cell or email. And if emergency happens it’s a two steps , flip the switch and press the button to reach GEOS You can also blue tooth it to your cell and download maps free to tie it into your inReach so you can look at you location on your personal cell. Again no cell service needed. Have fun
I have received these distress calls from these kind of services and this is how they follow thru.
Dispatch - We have a distress signal at this location (Lat. & Long.)
Me - What's the distress call regarding? Flat tire, vehicle break down, Medical, etc?
Dispatch - We do not know. All we know is there is an emergency and the location.
Me - Was there a text attached?
Dispatch - Our service does not allow text with an emergency response request.

Some services that are out there may be better than the ones I have dealt with but when I get those kind of calls, they are out in the middle of no where so I have to load up everything but the kitchen sink because I have no idea what the emergency is. Would love to see that system improve but since my wife don't text, the VHF radio still seems like a viable option if it is available.

FYI, any satellite communication at Lake Powell has to have a clear view of the southern sky. If you get behind a North facing wall, the signal will be lost. But thanks for the info. Those things are great in a pinch and have many positives.

Hi all. My post was a FYI for you consideration to consider at you leisure. Not a opinion in ay shape or for, free opinions. All I can tell you is in the last 7 or so years I have had no disruptions in service. I only activate my “inReach ” in September through December. I have been in a box canyon in
In lake powell last chance for 4 days as well as canyons up to rainbow bridge. As well as many non cell phone service MTN top’s ware Verizon. Was “NOT”. I. FYI. My lowly opinion! . I. Response to Dave.comment. Not sure about the north or south was. It don’t n matter. In my case and only my case. FYI Box canyon 100-150 yards in both directions north south I don’t “CARE”. Box canyon. No interruption in servers to my wife In PHX Verison. My iPhone verison was nonexistent Yes in a cave you in deeper “kimchi.” Yes I do like fresh radish kimchi from being over there. Any way Dave radios are well worth it. For a one mile or 3. In the

Hi sorry sent it be fore I was finished I’ll be ther from PHX. In mid September on a 59 discovery. Xl. And my targa. . Have fun and the utmost be safe. Take care.

Hi all. My post was a FYI for you consideration to consider at you leisure. Not a opinion in ay shape or for, free opinions. All I can tell you is in the last 7 or so years I have had no disruptions in service. I only activate my “inReach ” in September through December. I have been in a box canyon in
In lake powell last chance for 4 days as well as canyons up to rainbow bridge. As well as many non cell phone service MTN top’s ware Verizon. Was “NOT”. I. FYI. My lowly opinion! . I. Response to Dave.comment. Not sure about the north or south was. It don’t n matter. In my case and only my case. FYI Box canyon 100-150 yards in both directions north south I don’t “CARE”. Box canyon. No interruption in servers to my wife In PHX Verison. My iPhone verison was nonexistent Yes in a cave you in deeper “kimchi.” Yes I do like fresh radish kimchi from being over there. Any way Dave radios are well worth it. For a one mile or 3. In the
McBarker, If my post sounded like I was criticizing your opinion, I am sorry. I wasn't. But as many know, I'm not very good at sugar coating things, I just blurt them out and sometimes they do sound criticizing I'll admit, but really, I don't mean them to be.
I haven't dealt with all the satellite SOS systems yet but the ones I have dealt with is summed up in my last statement. I don't do the rescues on LP either but have been out past Doll House Road North of Hite several times and those satellite SOS services do take me to the exact location where they are. But the ones I got calls from obvious didn't have the "Text" option like you stated yours does.

What is the name of the one you use that allows the text to be sent out?

Have fun in September and be safe.

Dave understood, I have the original Delorme inreach SE , before Garmin bought them out. Still works fine.
My brother has the newer inreach exployer . this stuff works. mine sends the text and also a detailed color map of my location.
The new garmin 66i might be on my list for a future upgrade.

Below are some links ,info , stories if interested.

thanks

Hi Mcbarker,
In regards to Dave's comment, it's up to local agencies what resources they will deploy, as they crave information regarding the nature of the distress but a PLB/Epirb just gives a location. In regards to the inReach, do you know if you can directly text more detailed information to GEOs?

In regards to VHF, yes boat to boat range is limited at Lake Powell due to the high canyon walls, but with the National Park Service antennas being at 10,000 feet on top of Navaho mountain, they have great coverage of the lake (both handheld and 25watt fixed mount radios.)

The benefit of being able to communicate directly with the NPS dispatcher, will get you the needed resources deployed asap. There was a man overboard call in Warm Creek at 10pm, with a frantic person on the radio. Park Rangers were paged at home, and it took them about an hour to get to Castle Rock Cut before they were turned around (they found the MOB on board the houseboat.) It was difficult to hear the lady desperately asking for help, the poor dispatcher could only state "I've paged them and woken them up, they are driving to the boat as fast as they can." [We should all realize how remote the lake can be, don't expect 2 firetrucks and an ambulance to pull up next to your houseboat 4 minutes after your 911 call, be prepared with meds/ect that you may need.]

Also with VHF DSC, nearby boats will also alarm loudly, so if you need an epi-pen for the 8yo who got multiple stings from a wasp nest, it may be the boat 1/2 mile across the channel that has the epi-pen (doctor, emergency inhaler, defibrillator, ect.)

Without knowing the nature of distress, the private emergency helicopter won't be coming, you may have to wait hours for NPS to arrive on site and determine what resources are needed (and they may not have that epi-pen if they didn't know you needed it.)

Anyways, it would be interesting to know if with inReach your are in text communication with GEO's, as with a VHF you will be in direct comms with the NPS dispatcher.

it would be interesting to know if with inReach your are in text communication with GEOS

The answer is yes. I have the same unit and don't travel without it in the backcountry. Once you hit the "SOS" button, your coordinates and a distress signal are sent immediately to GEOS. Then they (GEOS) follow up with a text message asking for specific information about the type of emergency, condition of those involved, etc. GEOS then contacts local emergency services based on the specific conditions relayed by the customer. If, for whatever reason, the customer can't respond to the GEOS inquiry, they will still contact local emergency services and inform them of the distress call.

I don't disagree that VHF (especially voice) communication may be superior. I've just rarely had any radio service to speak of when away from the marina. I'm a north-laker though, so my experience may not be typical. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back