Night Fishing for Walleye at Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not Yet You Bet

Is there someone out there that could share their success of night fishing for Walleye at Powell. I know that they catch walleye other places night fishing with green lights and also trolling with bottom bouncers and worm harness, etc. At the walleye seminars they say if you want to catch the big walleye fish at night. When at Powell we fish all day and are too tired to fish much at night. I have fished off the dock with green lights and caught Stripers, but they don't catch very many walleye off the dock.

I was just wondering if someone out there is fishing for walleye at night and having success? If so what areas are they targeting and when are they fishing?

I guess no one fishes at Powell for walleye at night or they are not willing to tell their secrets. Really thought I would find someone out there that had had success.

I do not fish at night often. I know I get reports of folks walking the docks at Antelope and Wahweap who see crappie and walleye under the lights. These fish are attracted to light and walleye are easy to see because their big eyes shine as they reflect the light. They are seen but not often caught.

I have caught them spring and summer on rocky reefs and flats at dusk and dawn using the standard bass grub with a bit of worm attached. I really like the first hour of pre-dawn light for walleye. Then when the sun comes up I go look for bass and stripers.

I think it could be good, but you need to be in the right location, and the moon has a lot to do with success. I need to find a flat area next to deep water where walleye come up on to feed at night, close to the launch ramp and about 30 feet deep. I don't like traveling very far at night at Powell. Another problem is that they have no lights at the launch ramps. It is hard to load the boat in the dark.

I have night fished at Starvation for Walleye and had one good trip. I was told by a local walleye fisherman an area to try, and he seemed to be knowledgeable and it made all the difference. We fished with glow in the dark jigs with a full night crawler. Drop it down close to the bottom and raise it up and down very slowly, if you felt any weight or resistance give it slack and then set the hook.

I tried this same technique off the dock at Bullfrog for several hours and nothing. Don't know if it was the spot, the moon, or what, but I will try again because I know it can be really productive if everything comes together.

I would go over to Stanton Creek and try the shoreline there. It has changed considerably with the low water level but when we were tagging walleye in 2016 and 2017 we caught a lot of walleye near Stanton.

Wayne, C & C (Carol & Clell) did very well for walleye, off the haystacks at Stanton Creek at the last North Rally. That was a few years ago. Sq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back