New to Forum, New to Lake

One more thing... does anyone know where I can get quality block ice and dry ice in Page (or if they have good stuff for reasonable $$ at the marina)??

Was going to call Safeway, Stix Bait, Freds, and Antelope Rec Center on the way up.

Last edited:
Trip report!

Finally making it to Powell was amazing! The scenery, exploring the lake, and the FISH. Launched at Stateline and made my way to Dangling Rope. Gas not the issue I feared, only used 12 gallons. Fished Dangling Rope (first fish was when I started trolling back behind the marina into the canyon, less than one minute picked up a 3.5lb striper). Eventually decided to explore and camp in Balanced Rock. I explored but it was pretty packed (houseboats and jet skis) so came back to camp up Dangling Rope. That first day, maybe 3 hours total fishing, caught about 15 fish... mostly smallmouth. Used drop shot, a large panther martin spinner, and trolled with a deeper diving crank.

Day 2 morning topwater was unbelievable in Dangling, I caught maybe 15 smallmouth on top. Switched to the panther martin and senko "wacky" style and got about 10 more then trolled out getting a few striper. Broke my ultralight foolishly trying to lift a chunky 2lb smallmouth into the boat without a net. Cruised to Rainbow Bridge- awesome. Witnessed slurps in Forbidden Canyon. After the 3rd or 4th one I decided to cast in front of one and nailed a nice striper, then got a couple more until the slurps went away. Hung out in the shallows near the mouth of Cascade Canyon (lunch, swim, nap, etc) then trolled some really deep cliffs on the way back to Dangling Rope, nailed a few more striper. Went into the the random no-named cove just barely east of Dangling Rope to fish, got a few smallmouth, then the motor wouldn't start anymore!! WTF!

After trying to diagnose/fix the issue, trolled into the main channel and got a tow about a mile to Dangling Rope Marina. Tried to diagnose/fix the issue there- no luck. I spent the night on the dock to try and get a tow back to Wahweap in the morning. Needless to say I night fished right there from the dock anyway with anchovies and caught maybe 20 striper and strangely 6 channel cats. I easily could have caught 20 more but I was stressed, exhausted, and didn't want to clean that many fish. I tried asking people the next morning if anyone was going to Wahweap but nobody was. After a couple hours a decided to make the decision to call for an official tow ($$$$).

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. I went from the highest high to the lowest low in about an hour. Unfortunate end, but still a great experience. I will be back someday.

Meatwagon

Great report, sorry to hear about the breakdown but sooner or later it is going to happen. I have towed more than a few boats on my local waters and have been towed myself a couple times. I try to have my boat in for service before heading to Powell due to its size and remoteness, but there is no guarantees.

Yeah it came out of nowhere, motor had been running great and no warnings. I think something electrical got fried (Stator? Trigger assembly?) so I'm hoping for a relatively simple fix. Unfortunately the boat will be out of commission for a month :(

I forgot to mention I did catch one walleye off the bottom, I think behind Dangling Rope (my selfie skills are horrible). Oh, and I'm already 100% sure I'll be back next year!

walleye.jpg

wayne gustaveson

Staff member
Yeah it came out of nowhere, motor had been running great and no warnings. I think something electrical got fried (Stator? Trigger assembly?) so I'm hoping for a relatively simple fix. Unfortunately the boat will be out of commission for a month :(

I forgot to mention I did catch one walleye off the bottom, I think behind Dangling Rope (my selfie skills are horrible). Oh, and I'm already 100% sure I'll be back next year!
When you come back you might consider the month of May when fishing is better and the weather is not as hot.

Because of my calendar, I will shoot for late May... the earliest I can get there, to early June. I thought the late June fishing was pretty awesome, so the idea of being there when it's even better (and a tiny bit cooler) is very appealing. I'm completely sold: This will be a yearly thing!

Squirrel

Because of my calendar, I will shoot for late May... the earliest I can get there, to early June. I thought the late June fishing was pretty awesome, so the idea of being there when it's even better (and a tiny bit cooler) is very appealing. I'm completely sold: This will be a yearly thing!
The lake has created another monster! Sq

bubba

I hope you had insurance for that tow, if not look into Boat US. Last time I check Powell was on the list for water tows and they cover trailer support too. I’ve towed many boats over the years but nothing as far as DR to Wahweap, that is a big favor to ask anyone. Be glad your engine troubles did not happen at the end of the Juan, you might still be there.

Big winds at the end of May, and all good Powell memories include some wind.

I hope you had insurance for that tow, if not look into Boat US. Last time I check Powell was on the list for water tows and they cover trailer support too. I’ve towed many boats over the years but nothing as far as DR to Wahweap, that is a big favor to ask anyone. Be glad your engine troubles did not happen at the end of the Juan, you might still be there.

Big winds at the end of May, and all good Powell memories include some wind.
I figured if anyone was going that way anyway they might want to make a couple hundred for gas, but yeah... it is a big favor and partly why I just bit the bullet and contacted "executive services" for the concessionaire tow. I did meet some nice (and interesting people) while at DR and one retired Marine talked about tow insurance, like Triple A for lakes. As much as I'm on the water, I am looking into that. Although it spoiled a great trip, you are right... I was VERY lucky.

catchnabuzz

I figured if anyone was going that way anyway they might want to make a couple hundred for gas, but yeah... it is a big favor and partly why I just bit the bullet and contacted "executive services" for the concessionaire tow. I did meet some nice (and interesting people) while at DR and one retired Marine talked about tow insurance, like Triple A for lakes. As much as I'm on the water, I am looking into that. Although it spoiled a great trip, you are right... I was VERY lucky.
Curious if you care to share how much they dinged you for the tow?

Well, here's the story. It's $250 an HOUR, and they explained that to mean from when the captain left to when he returned. My boat is small and light and he immediately got me on a plane and it took barely 75 minutes from DL to Wahweap. Assuming it took him 55-60 minutes to get there and 10-15 minutes diddling around talking and hooking up, etc... I expected a 2.5 to 3 hour (~$750) charge. Needless to say when I called I felt a little like throwing up, and when he got there I (nicely and humorously) explained I was just a poor little fisherman in his little boat and thinking about paying $4 a minute made me ill. He said something to the effect of "don't worry, I support little fishermen and I'm not making any money on this." I thought, yeah right... just trying to make me feel better. Well when I saw the charge on my card last week it was $250! He was a was a nice guy (I'm sure some of them are saltier) and it was super easy... not searching for some gigantic boat in some random canyon, etc, so I got really lucky there. I doubt that happens often, and I am grateful considering how much it could have been. But yeah, assume paying $250 an hour.

Well, here's the story. It's $250 an HOUR, and they explained that to mean from when the captain left to when he returned. My boat is small and light and he immediately got me on a plane and it took barely 75 minutes from DL to Wahweap. Assuming it took him 55-60 minutes to get there and 10-15 minutes diddling around talking and hooking up, etc... I expected a 2.5 to 3 hour (~$750) charge. Needless to say when I called I felt a little like throwing up, and when he got there I (nicely and humorously) explained I was just a poor little fisherman in his little boat and thinking about paying $4 a minute made me ill. He said something to the effect of "don't worry, I support little fishermen and I'm not making any money on this." I thought, yeah right... just trying to make me feel better. Well when I saw the charge on my card last week it was $250! He was a was a nice guy (I'm sure some of them are saltier) and it was super easy... not searching for some gigantic boat in some random canyon, etc, so I got really lucky there. I doubt that happens often, and I am grateful considering how much it could have been. But yeah, assume paying $250 an hour.

How did you contact them do they have a phone number

linnell

I was talking to a guy yesterday, who had to have his boat towed to Bullfrog from the San Juan. They wouldn't let him gather up his camping gear for the trip back for whatever reason and it cost him $1,300. He had to rent a boat and go back to retrieve his stuff. I'm not sure if the $1,300 included the rental, but expensive trip either way

BarzArz

I was talking to a guy yesterday, who had to have his boat towed to Bullfrog from the San Juan. They wouldn't let him gather up his camping gear for the trip back for whatever reason and it cost him $1,300. He had to rent a boat and go back to retrieve his stuff. I'm not sure if the $1,300 included the rental, but expensive trip either way
Wow,
That would leave a mark!

I gave a young man a ride from the Bullfrog ramp to the parking area up top yesterday afternoon. He related he had a rock hit that tore his lower unit off and someone hit his motor home on the way down and about tore the front off of it, he said it was an expensive weekend:oops: