New to forum, looking for camping spot ideas for week of June 17-23 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerRob71

Hello all, my name is Rob and I’ve been viewing this forum for a while as we anxiously await our Lake Powell houseboat trip, what a terrific resource, thanks so much ! Now that we are a week away, want to know if anyone would have camping spot ideas for a rookie ? I’ve been houseboating one other time with my neighbors who were very experienced as they have houseboated on Powell for years, so I learned a lot. Just curious for those who have been out lately, given the current water levels, if you might point us in a direction that would have multiple options for camp sites for a 70’ houseboat ? Hoping to be in the Padre Bay Area, just from looking at maps and satellite images, which I know are completely useless given the changing water conditions.

Thanks in advance for any and all advise !

Rob

Honestly, that’s the exact spot that’s probably first on my list, thanks for the suggestion ! Just don’t know how crowded it’s going to be next week ?

For reference, this image of Cookie Jar and the surrounding bay (on Flickr) is dated Jul 2013. Lake elevation at that time was in the 3590’s which is right about where it’ll be next week. So there should be ample beaches for larger houseboats.

If you plan to bring along a towed boat or watercraft, after passing through the Narrows just before Gunsight, send a crew out ahead to scout up a suitable beach.

Have fun and stay safe.DC07DD41-0FCF-40C4-AD90-DA49A7CAAED9.jpeg

Thanks for the reference and picture, what a gorgeous picture !!! Based on this picture, I would not say there is a plethora of spots, so what is the houseboat etiquette for camping next to someone ? I know when I go camping or hunting out in the forest, if I can see another camp that’s too close for me. Obviously we’re going to have neighbors, just don’t want to piss anyone off.

If you are lucky you could secure a secluded cove about a mile from cookie jar. Wayne calls it secret cove, I call it angel cove because of the angel wings on the side of the canyon wall. The long wall that runs from Kane wash all the way to the southeast (Last Chance would be on the other side)has a hidden opening into one of the coolest coves on the southend. Throw some chairs and a cooler in you power boat so if the beach is open you can secure it.

There is a lot more to a good campsite than sand and shade and sun.

Much has been written about this exact topic over the years here on WW. Maybe a deep search dive or even better, a PIN from admin on some of these very well discussed prior post for newbies would be worth the effort.

For me, secure anchoring, wind protection and direct protection from big water bays are my top priorities. Others include privacy from wave boats and barking dogs. These spots are plentiful with a keen eye, but change weekly by water level. This time of year with lifting water you need to allow plenty of friendly shoreline in front of the boat as it advances when keeping the lines tight. Keep this in mind when placing anchors.

Each anchorage for me is a process, I go as far to keep the sun track from stern to bow lined up with the top of the boat to keep upper decks cooler from side positioned sun. I also find tall rocks on the western edge this time of year for afternoon shade.

Use plenty of lines, dig deep anchor holes, secure the bow with 2 anchors as well.

Wind is your biggest concern, keep it on the bow as much as possible. Keep the wind off the stern if exposed to big bays, and always try to adjust bow angle to keep lateral wind to as close to zero. Try to find a spot where the bow and stern line up to the Sun between 3-5 pm (shadow directly behind the boat), this will keep you bow first in most summer wind (non micros).

Think ahead and always be prepared. Tight lines... lots of tight lines.

If you pick the spot in the picture you miss out on amazing sunsets. Take a hike up to the first slickrock shelf or take a boat ride to the unpopulated side of the cove for amazing sunsets on the face canyon cliffs. Stay on the other side to get all this and cell coverage too.

One last thing, camping near bushes means lots of bugs....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back