New rod/reel combo recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

renegadecj

Figured it might be time to add a rod/reel to my gear for our trip this year. I haven't been in the market for 25 yrs, so I'm not really sure who makes a good spinning reel for casting to boils/bass.

Any advice? I'm assuming there are some decent deals out there, but I don't really know where to start.

Plenty of decent combos out there to choose from. We've fished many years on Powell with mid range Mitchell and Berkley combos/reels/rods. Peter recently bought a shimano combo that i used a lot on our san juan trip and loved it so they are an option now as well. We've had less luck with the quantum and diawa mid range combos. You're going to want a medium to medium heavy rod around 7' with around a 3000 sized reel (one that can hold 100-140is yards of about 8lb line). Another thing we've done is that if you're going to spend around $100 on a combo put most of that money towards a reel, to me its more important to have a better reel than a 'nicer' rod. I've never spent more than $60 on a rod in my life and probably never will. Hope this helps.

This question should open the flood gates. How much do you want to spend total?
Yeah, you are right. I was thinking something average. Since I've been out of the market so long, I don't know what to expect! I want something quality that will last a long time, at least reel wise. I haven't really set a budget. I've seen combo sets that look decent for $75 but I think I'd rather get them separately, so I get a better reel. What is an average for a decent reel?

You can't go wrong with Shimano or one of the other top brands. If you want a good reel, expect to pay from 80-120 bucks for one that will perform and last. I have Shimano, Garcia, and Pflueger reels all around 80-149 bucks. I pay a little more for my rods because the better rods are real light which you will appreciate on an all-day fishing trip. There are some decent set-ups that will work that are cheaper. If you only go a couple of times a year.

What is an average for a decent reel?

$50-$80 will get you a very decent reel that will last. I've essentially fished my whole life on Powell with 2-3 $40-$50 Mitchell's, just this year was the first time I've splurged and got a Shimano Stradic, it was like $170? You can certainly tell and feel the difference but Id still be fine if I only every got to use my other Mitchell's.

I think Cabela's has sale right now president reel on cableaa rod like $70, I don't use them but here good things about phulger president reels.

I think Cabela's has sale right now president reel on cableaa rod like $70, I don't use them but here good things about phulger president reels.
I saw that Pflueger President reel. I don't know anything about Pflueger reels...are they pretty good?

I have used Shimano combos for 20+ years and have been very satisfied, I recently bought a Pflueger combo at Sportsmans Warehouse in Grand Junction on the recomendation of the guy who works there, can't remember his name. This was my second time using it and I love it, hard to give up on the Shimano and I just bought a new reel, like stated before I think the reel is more important than the rod stay away from the real cheap rods though.

Ok, so I'll check out the Pflueger here at Cabelas, as well as the Shimano's. What line would you recommend to string on a new reel?

I fish with a buddy that has nothing but pflueger's and swears by them. You will get what you pay for. I agree that the reel is the most part of the combo. If you have a decent reel you could catch a fish with a tree limb. Sorry G Loomis guys.

I saw that Pflueger President reel. I don't know anything about Pflueger reels...are they pretty good?
I have 5 of the Pflueger President 674's and like them. They hold quite a bit of line. I like the #10 -#20 lb. fire line with a floro. leader of about 5' Sq

I also have a couple of Phlueger spinning reels and a Diawa baitcaster. Love 'em both, but found I like them even better the second year after cleaning out the factory grease and replacing it. I use 15# braid w/a rod-length fluoro leader on the spinners and 20# fluoro, no leader on the level wind.

GregC

I have the President and it works fine. I love the Mitchell I bought last year. I do have 4 of the Cabelas rods. They list for $100 but never paid more that 70, I really like them. I have had to take one back and no questions asked, just replaced it.

It is not the brand, but the model of reel that matters. Shimano, Daiwa, Penn etc. all make $20 reels up to $1200. I have never seen any reason to spend more than $100 on a freshwater combo, but there is a noticeable difference once you spend more than $50 on a reel in terms of smoothness and drag. Cabelas has some combos with Pflueger President reels on sale right now:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/home...dent-tourney-trail-spinning-combo/2436840.uts

I now own three of these setups and love them. Best bang for the buck i think. All my combos have been just under $90.

I've tried some 120-180.00 shimanos and keep adding 50.00 pflueger presidents because I can't really tell a worthwhile difference. Mainly the 30 size. One or two 35's.

I just bought 2 9' Ugly Sticks and 2 Penn baitcasters with line counters. They performed great last weekend. Wish I'd have got them along time ago. I had been using my Abu Garcia 5500's on 6'6 rods for years that work fine but the bigger reels on longer rods make reeling those stripers in a tad easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back