New Lake Powell tour boat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Athough a cat would have provided less wake for the benefit of safety for others and would have provided more stability for the comfort of the customers, the new boats appear to be a good second place pick. The aluminum hull is lighter and at cruise this will combine to produce much smaller wakes - good for Aramark. The smaller boats appear to be all indoor with AC and it is possible this will even be jet propelled vrs direct or SD. This boat will pay for iteslef with lower fuel cost. Smaller design also translates to fewer empty seats... this may be a river boat folks... not a RB boat.

Wakes not as big but still large. And those little boats are fast
Yep, saw one twice last week on the lake. I'm guessing 40 mph, and the wake was large but not monstrous. At slower speeds it probably throws a "relatively" small wake. I saw it docked at RB and then later heading back at full speed.

Last week we were up in the SJ for a week, were were heading back to the ramp (page) early morning. My boat is 31' over all (wooldridge 26' pilothouse) sits high in the water with dark tinted windows and four large fenders hanging horizontal port and starboard, high radar mount , looks like a patrol boat that's gonna bust you for sure. We see the new tour boat coming up on our port, as he get's closer he shut it down to a crawl, my buddy and I look at each other like whats going on? then the tour boat see's 7 fishing rods on each side and bam! he's up on step again, we could not stop laughing. That poor captain thought he was gonna get a talking to, when he saw us down river 3 hours later he sure did not slow down when he zoomed by. And yes, that new boat, its wake could still ruin somebody's day.

Strangely, the tour boat we saw did the same thing just east of Dangling Rope... it suddenly came to a idle and within 1 minute was going full bore again.

We saw this new tour boat a couple times last week and it definitely has a wake. The wake came over the front of our houseboat but didn't swamp us as we had blocked the front door with a five gallon container of water. We saw it send a 65' houseboat a rockin' as it passed them at a curve uplake. Our towed boat did fine but had a rollicking time of it. This new tour boat is really fast and quieter than the old ones. If it had wings I think it could fly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back