New decon

Status
Not open for further replies.
NPS was doing a good job at APM ramp last weekend managing and helping with decon and with a great attitude. I heard the wait was up to 2 hours at times; when I hauled there were only 5 boats ahead of me.

BUT....

....friends I know rented a 23' surf boat out of SLC and were hauling it out at the same time as I was. NPS did a thorough job helping them drain the engine and strainer and bilge, but nothing was done to the ballast bags beyond seeing if they were as empty as they could be. We all know there is still a lot of water in those ballast bags even when empty. There was a hot water system at the top of the ramp, but I did not see it being used at all in my time at the ramp. Being a rental boat, it could possibly have been on a lake around SLC within 24 hours of being on Lake Powell, dumping what water was left in the ballast bags into the mussel free lake.

This is why I say the spread of mussels everywhere is imminent.

Last edited:
I was at Bullfrog this last week and they had new equipment ,and seemed to be using it to decon wake boats . Plus they had a checkpoint at the park exit , that was manned by the D.N.R. . They are trying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back