New Adventure on Powell

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyColo

Good morning! My husband and I have been to Lake Powell several times, both on house boats and ski boat/camping, staying north of Dangling Rope. This year, we'd like to take an adventure from Bullfrog all the way to Wahweap on a ski boat, camping along the way and seeing sites to the south of Dangling Rope that I have never seen. Gas is, or course, my biggest concern, but we have a 2007 Four Winns, 34-gallon, 19.5 ft, 190 HP boat. I'm confident we can make it to DR, but we will have to be aware of how much tooling around we do between the marinas. Our plan is to launch from Bullfrog in the early morning, heading directly to DR, then we will spend the night relatively close to DR, refueling before we continue. Then on to Wahweap for night 2, but we'd like to take our time getting there. Back on toward DR for night 3, returning to Bullfrog on day 4. Is this time frame doable, or should we consider adding another day to the trip. I know we will need to refuel every chance we get, but other than ice, I don't want to have to purchase too much food. We will have 2 med-large coolers with food and drink on the boat. I typically freeze any food and drinks that I can before packing coolers. I purchased the Standard Horizon HX870 Handheld VHF Radio that includes GPS in case of an emergency. We are hoping to have minimal gear that includes a small tent, small shade tent, gas grill, minimal fishing gear, etc. Any advice from those who have done this trek before?

From the sounds of it, your motor is the 4.3L V6? That is a very efficient engine, and gets outstanding economy. You'll have plenty of range to make it, just don't go trusting your fuel gauge TOO much! Boat gauges have a way of sticking on full, until they're not......then they bounce between 1/4 and 1/2. Just bring a couple 5 gallon cans with you, and you'll have plenty of range anywhere on that lake :cool:

Good morning! My husband and I have been to Lake Powell several times, both on house boats and ski boat/camping, staying north of Dangling Rope. This year, we'd like to take an adventure from Bullfrog all the way to Wahweap on a ski boat, camping along the way and seeing sites to the south of Dangling Rope that I have never seen. Gas is, or course, my biggest concern, but we have a 2007 Four Winns, 34-gallon, 19.5 ft, 190 HP boat. I'm confident we can make it to DR, but we will have to be aware of how much tooling around we do between the marinas. Our plan is to launch from Bullfrog in the early morning, heading directly to DR, then we will spend the night relatively close to DR, refueling before we continue. Then on to Wahweap for night 2, but we'd like to take our time getting there. Back on toward DR for night 3, returning to Bullfrog on day 4. Is this time frame doable, or should we consider adding another day to the trip. I know we will need to refuel every chance we get, but other than ice, I don't want to have to purchase too much food. We will have 2 med-large coolers with food and drink on the boat. I typically freeze any food and drinks that I can before packing coolers. I purchased the Standard Horizon HX870 Handheld VHF Radio that includes GPS in case of an emergency. We are hoping to have minimal gear that includes a small tent, small shade tent, gas grill, minimal fishing gear, etc. Any advice from those who have done this trek before?

Sounds like a fun trip! Don't forget your porta-potty. ;) I've only done this trip in a houseboat, and it took 12 hours to get from Halls to Wahweap. Of course, we took two days to do the trip as well. Just follow your buoys and watch for those "whales," those pesky rocks lurking under the surface. South of Dangling Rope, be sure to check out Wetherill Canyon (buoy 39), West Canyon (26), and of course, Padre Bay (20). Don't camp in Warm Creek--no shade, too hot, too shallow in the back, and the cows come down and foul the water.

Take lots of pictures, and let us know how your trip went!

Tiff

I would spend 2 nights at the same location, somewhere near DR and use a day to explore around DR and Rock Creek. I’m not a fan of the south end- from mile marker 25 or so to the dam. Just too crowded and TOO choppy. Fun to see, but you could do that in a few hours and return to a camping spot closer to DR. We camped in Our speed boat for a week in Dungeon, and made Day runs to Wahweap, Antelope and even did a run up Last Chance, as well as exploring Rock Creek and a few canyons north of DR

I would do this trip in late September or October. The crowds are gone by then so the pounding you take in the channel will be only due to wind and not because of boat wakes. Then it is only an issue of paying attention to the weather forecast. Between Memorial Day and Labor Day the main channel can be a real drag after about 8AM, especially if you add wind to the mix.

Since you've not been south of Dangling Rope, do pay attention around Gregory Butte and Camel Rock (Mile 25 to 28). The channel takes a 180 degree turn north of the butte and if you are not careful you'll travel 15 miles up to the end of Last Chance Bay. On a family trip in July we had some jetskiers visit us at the very top of Last Chance Bay, asking how to get to Dangling Rope. They missed the turn. We gave them gas and sent them on their way. I would venture that even if you miss the turn you should be OK if you gassed up at Dangling Rope. And Last Chance certainly is pretty to visit, but you'll add more than an hour to your journey if you do decide to visit, whether on purpose or accidentally.

As for sights, Wetheril Canyon, West Canyon, the incredible panoramas between Gregory Butte and Padre Butte. Camping is easy to find pretty much anywhere along the channel - lots of beaches. If you were staying longer you could head up a side canyon and look for a spot. They are not plentiful, but there are some nice ones if you are patient enough to search.

It is very smart to take the VHF radio and know how to use it, but you'll find that along most of the channel you can get cell service.

Have fun. I am always envious when someone else is at Lake Powell and I am not!

I would spend 2 nights at the same location, somewhere near DR and use a day to explore around DR and Rock Creek. I’m not a fan of the south end- from mile marker 25 or so to the dam. Just too crowded and TOO choppy. Fun to see, but you could do that in a few hours and return to a camping spot closer to DR. We camped in Our speed boat for a week in Dungeon, and made Day runs to Wahweap, Antelope and even did a run up Last Chance, as well as exploring Rock Creek and a few canyons north of DR
PB is right on. Except for the dinosaur tracks on antelope island and maybe Navajo canyon I would stay more mm 30ish and explore that area. To each his own but if you go to Wahweap, take a back brace.

My only experiences in Rock Creek were that there were so many people there trying to avoid crowds that it had become crowded. My last memory is encountering some campers wearing camo who fired warning shots into the air at around sunrise on a November morning when we idled into the cove they were camping in, not knowing they were there (they were in camo after all). So be aware that some folks on the lake are territorial and very expressive of their 2nd Amendment rights, but also be aware that gun play is illegal in Glen Canyon, at least for now. Not that this will stop those who chose to intimidate. It's a beautiful place and we should all be able to get along, but there are some who just won't.

Not sure about the southern areas, but on two separate occasions over the years I have experienced nearby gunfire in northern canyons during November only to find out big game hunting is allowed for sheep since Glen Canyon is a NRA. Those folks also were in camo. So hopefully, it was more along those lines?

Many years ago I completed a similar trip in about the same sized boat, 21 foot open bow with a 4.3 with a 35 gallon tank. I took an additional 35 gallons of fuel in jugs strapped to the swim step. I certainly paid my dues and earned the memories. I encourage you to go for it! Keep your schedule flexible and if you find what you are looking for along the way, have the awareness to make that your destination instead.

Over the years my Powell adventures became less destination based and more just slowly drifting from one experience to the next, one canyon at a time. Some canyons were enjoyed for days and others just hours. I usually travel the main channel in the calm cool morning and would tuck into side canyons before the afternoon wind picked up. Do not risk the main channel in big wind.

The area between Bullfrog and Wahweap is amazing, but not so much the closer you get to Wahweap, primarily due to increased boat traffic, rough water, and constant noise of engines. If Wahweap is a goal that you must accomplish then go quickly from 28 to the marina and then refuel and get back to 28 before slowing down again. And why Wahweap, Antelope Point is easier, more beautiful, more refined and without the long crazy wakeless stretch filled with idiots at the cut. Check out Navajo canyon if you turn left at 12.

For me, I would end my southbound adventure at Grotto at 39 or Last Chance at 28. The mayhem and sensory overload begins at 25. If it is purity that you seek why go beyond Escalate at 69, that is as good as it gets.

Once you drop below Rainbow keep your eye out for the deadly tour boat wakes. These wakes have killed before and will kill again, they demand your full attention, especially in a small boat. Hike rainbow early, like before 8am to avoid the crowds. Definitely stop at DR for fuel and ice cream. All the canyons near DR are amazing.

In a small boat, pre planning is critical. I like to keep thing simple, especially meals. For breakfast I packed yogurt and fruit, and for lunch and dinner I enjoy quickly made tacos, prepared with pre cooked Costco Angus patties. I used a small single burner stove to heat a patty, cut it in half to perfectly fit inside my taco shell, add a bit of Costco shredded cheese and hot sauce. Each meal from start to finish was complete in 15 minutes including cleanup. I use plastic plates to reduce trash and odors. I always pack butter and lemon and tin foil for fish. Keep your food in a different cooler than your drinks. I used frozen water bottles in both coolers and always had the coolers in the shade or covered with a wet towel. I also filled a water bottle with espresso shots that I added to warm water for my morning coffee. I even pre sliced and bagged my onion for the tacos. Pre-make as many meals as possible to reduce meal prep and extra equipment on lake. Don’t forget your porta potty with double zip bags and wet wipes. A small Costco beach umbrella with auger point makes instant shade on any beach. Keep you clothes inside a trash bag in event of rain. I always set camp and had dinner finished and a swim in well before sunset. Know the direction of sunrise to make sure you are shade blocked if sleeping in is a priority. Don’t forget a towel and trash bags. I always went solo and never swam without a life vest for safety. Set your camp in coves with limited water exposure.

Take your time. You are living a dream, why rush it. I would encourage you to camp in Escalante your first night. Spend the next day slowly exploring each canyon. If you do continue south, the hike at hole in the rock is awesome and also stop in Reflection just below the San Juan on the right side.

Take energy bars and extra water for hiking and in case you get stuck in wind. Always know your closest bouy number. Emergency channel is 16, and the SH870 is an awesome radio.

Read up on the history of each canyon, it adds to the adventure.

Have fun.

Last edited:
I routinely pack everything and a few big boys with me for a week to ten days in my 20 ft. Fish and ski, including 40 gallons of extra fuel. Your boat is big enough for sure with all of the good advice above. This is unasked for info so if you already know it, sorry in advance. Watch your prop size when loading up for a big trip. I have to go down to a 17 when I am fully loaded for a week. Most of the time when I unload everything at camp I throw on a 20 for the week for the obvious reasons. I learned the hard way that having a 20 aluminum on with the load was not good for the boat or us lol. If you are unsure of what your boat should have go to prop wizard and include the extra weight, it will give you the pitch you should be at. My opinion for a rambling trip is to keep the lower pitch prop on for the whole trip. Never hurts to carry a spare with hub assembly including crown, nut and cotter pin when traveling that far, believe it or not there are some lonely areas of the lake you find yourself in. And half of my fun is exploring side canyons as far as I can. Have an awesome trip....with extra time.

TR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back