Ned Rigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coho975

Wanting to try some Ned rigs for walleye on our upcoming trip. Any body have some advice on colors, jig weights, brands, etc?

Thanks

I agree with Dungee. We’ve use both the 4” and the 2.75” with good results. Although, we have learned the 4” doesn’t dig up as many fish but, produces larger fish. Lately we’ve been using the Zman Ned Lockz Head in black or green pumpkin. The TRD stays on them really well without using the super glue trick.

Heading down tomorrow for a few days. Attached picture is a bag from my box . Will try this Ned technique with these old senkos. For those on the western slope, notice the price tag? That’s how old they are, unopened so what the heck!! Will be in Lund, “boat camping” around floating bathroom before GHB.

Attachments

• 4EABA1F6-7196-49BA-81C7-CE846E86A9F5.jpeg
    4EABA1F6-7196-49BA-81C7-CE846E86A9F5.jpeg
    450.1 KB · Views: 133
Heading down tomorrow for a few days. Attached picture is a bag from my box . Will try this Ned technique with these old senkos. For those on the western slope, notice the price tag? That’s how old they are, unopened so what the heck!! Will be in Lund, “boat camping” around floating bathroom before GHB.
I miss Gene Taylors

I have used the Zman TRD in California Craw and the HulaZ in Canada Craw. the HulaZ is 4" long and has a split tail. I cut 1" off of the head. Used a chartreuse mushroom jig head. My son was fishing from the front seat and casting plugs towards the bank. I sat in the back and let the jig go to the bottom and just jigged it off of the bottom while the boat was moving pretty slow. I was catching walleye, my son smallmouth.

What's been said is right on. If Ned rigging you gotta go with the zman products. They are made of something different than your typical soft plastics and will float, which is key in fishing the ned rig correctly. It will give it the appearance of a bait fish or similar feeding off the bottom.

You can still have success from other soft plastics, but in my experience the zman products will out fish anything else on the ned rig. They are designed for it.

What's been said is right on. If Ned rigging you gotta go with the zman products. They are made of something different than your typical soft plastics and will float, which is key in fishing the ned rig correctly. It will give it the appearance of a bait fish or similar feeding off the bottom.

You can still have success from other soft plastics, but in my experience the zman products will out fish anything else on the ned rig. They are designed for it.
They last for ever !

FYI, do not put a Zman worm in the same ziplock as another type of soft bait. It will turn to a messy mush. Something about the materials interacting. Weird, but it happens.

I've experienced this as well as them just melting in their own bag if left out in the brutal summer sun/heat. Same with the other plastics as well.

You guys have convinced me to order some zman stuff. I've set my nedrig up with senko and done well but this sounds better. I am ignorant. what is trd?

Don't feel so ignoant anymore. TRD= The Real Deal .... come on. Took me 2 years to figure out what lol is. This stuff is very hard on old men. BTW before all the orings and such I just put my hook through the plastic worm and did all right. It would be cool to have a boat with nedriggers and hook through the worm to do a comparison. I think a floating worm may make the difference. Thanks Dungee.

Chovycaptain, we’ve used Senkos for years for the Ned Rig (not knowing the coined name for it until a few years ago). The problem is they sink because of the salt content. So, if you stretch them out a bit before putting them on the jig they will float but, not as well as the new Ned Rig stuff. They must stand up when resting on the bottom. Also, using a spot of super glue between the head and the Senko, will help hold it in position.

Good luck!

I really like the Z-man baits and the TRD craws in The Deal is my go to light rig. Their bigger craws on a swinging head jig work awesome too. The buoyancy of the craw plus separation from the weight allow the bait to stand up well. Gorilla super glue is “thicker” and works well instead of the thin stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back