Ned rigs up North

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Fish

My son and I spent three days, May 1-4, fishing out of Bullfrog and had a great trip. The weather was awesome and the fish were cooperative. We caught some of everything and mostly on Ned rigs. It was my first time using Ned’s but it won’t be my last. We found most fish located in 25 - 35 feet of water along both rocky shores and sheer walls. We were using dark colored worms and 1/10 ounce heads and fished really slow which is easy to do with the Ned. We went as far north as Knowles but found our best fishing in Forgotten and Crystal Springs. Started seeing stained water in the main channel just North of Moki but the canyons were pretty clear after only a couple hundred yards with water temps in the low 60’s. We caught mostly SMB that were under 12” with a few that were in the two pound class, several LMB in the 1-2# range, the 6 walleye we caught were 2-3# and healthy. We caught about a dozen stripers on Ned rigs, trolling a deep diving pointer minnow and on chovies. Some were obviously skinny that I sunk but we kept a few that I thought might be ok but were pretty disappointing at the cleaning station. The striper is a great fish, too bad we don’t have a better forage base to keep them fed.

Thanks for the info. Glad you had a good trip. We are headed down in the morning and fishing from Bullfrog North for all species. Will report when we get back next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back