Navajo 05/17-19/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeremy N.

We took a quick trip with the kiddos to get out on Powell again. We arrived mid morning on Friday, made our way up Navajo canyon and set up camp on the sandy beach where the kiddos love to play. We decided to take our first fishing outing at about 2 pm and set up at the second point past the double islands. I set up my kids poles with circle hooks and an inch of cut up anchovies, tossed them out and put them in the rod holders. As soon as I picked up my pole to get it ready and rigged up, the kids poles began to bounce and we started the trip with a double. As my wife helped them reel theirs in, I threw out my wifes line along with mine, placed them in the holders and then went to the front of the boat to land the fish. As we landed the fish, the other two poles began to bounce and we again had another double. The kids quickly ran to the rear of the boat and began bringing in the new catch! Over the next hour, the kids reeled in thirty plus fish, all healthy 1-2 year old stripers. They were all very healthy fish with great fillets minus 4 that we sent back to the bottom of the lake for future nutrients. I then noticed the winds beginning to pick up so we headed back to base camp to clean the fish and get out of the wind.

Saturday morning we made it back to the point at about 8 am where we again started the same pattern. We found the same school of yearling stripers between 10-15 inches with a couple of larger ones mixed in. My 4 year old son caught the largest at just over 6 lbs, while my daughter reeled one in at just over 5. We fished for a couple of hours and were joined by a couple of boats of very friendly fishermen and their families. In all we (the kids) brought in another twenty plus fish. I was trying to filet them while they caught them, but they seemed to be doubling what I was turning out.

We returned to the same spot Saturday evening and again the kids slayed them. I actually pulled my pole in and put it away in an effort to keep up with filleting them, but it was hopeless. We planned on staying and fishing Sunday morning, but as we got up at 7 AM I noticed the wind and ominous clouds and decided it was best to head for Wahweap. We pulled the boat off the lake just in time for the wind and storm to hit.

I'm happy to share my locations with those of you taking young families out to light that fire. Enjoy and good luck!

Go Utes!

Attachments

• IMG_20190518_104025.jpg
    IMG_20190518_104025.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20190518_104212.jpg
    IMG_20190518_104212.jpg
    488.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_20190518_104159.jpg
    IMG_20190518_104159.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_20190517_140706.jpg
    IMG_20190517_140706.jpg
    566.7 KB · Views: 243
We took a quick trip with the kiddos to get out on Powell again. We arrived mid morning on Friday, made our way up Navajo canyon and set up camp on the sandy beach where the kiddos love to play. We decided to take our first fishing outing at about 2 pm and set up at the second point past the double islands. I set up my kids poles with circle hooks and an inch of cut up anchovies, tossed them out and put them in the rod holders. As soon as I picked up my pole to get it ready and rigged up, the kids poles began to bounce and we started the trip with a double. As my wife helped them reel theirs in, I threw out my wifes line along with mine, placed them in the holders and then went to the front of the boat to land the fish. As we landed the fish, the other two poles began to bounce and we again had another double. The kids quickly ran to the rear of the boat and began bringing in the new catch! Over the next hour, the kids reeled in thirty plus fish, all healthy 1-2 year old stripers. They were all very healthy fish with great fillets minus 4 that we sent back to the bottom of the lake for future nutrients. I then noticed the winds beginning to pick up so we headed back to base camp to clean the fish and get out of the wind.

Saturday morning we made it back to the point at about 8 am where we again started the same pattern. We found the same school of yearling stripers between 10-15 inches with a couple of larger ones mixed in. My 4 year old son caught the largest at just over 6 lbs, while my daughter reeled one in at just over 5. We fished for a couple of hours and were joined by a couple of boats of very friendly fishermen and their families. In all we (the kids) brought in another twenty plus fish. I was trying to filet them while they caught them, but they seemed to be doubling what I was turning out.

We returned to the same spot Saturday evening and again the kids slayed them. I actually pulled my pole in and put it away in an effort to keep up with filleting them, but it was hopeless. We planned on staying and fishing Sunday morning, but as we got up at 7 AM I noticed the wind and ominous clouds and decided it was best to head for Wahweap. We pulled the boat off the lake just in time for the wind and storm to hit.

I'm happy to share my locations with those of you taking young families out to light that fire. Enjoy and good luck!

Go Utes!

That is very special. Kids catching fish are about the most fun parents can have. Thanks for sharing that with us.

The Navajo canyon title brought me here and after reading and looking at the pictures, I found out that we were fishing next to each other! You can see our boat in one of the pictures. Thank you so much for coming over to our boat to let us know where the fish were and sharing the space. We had a great time thanks to you!

The Navajo canyon title brought me here and after reading and looking at the pictures, I found out that we were fishing next to each other! You can see our boat in one of the pictures. Thank you so much for coming over to our boat to let us know where the fish were and sharing the space. We had a great time thanks to you!

Welcome Jairo. We promote a family friendly fishing experience for stripers this time of year. Glad you could share some of that with a Jeremy who is a great example of how family fishing events should work. I like it!

That's awesome! I am planning a trip with my kids and wife and wanted to try somewhere new like Navajo. Could you share your location? That would be a great place to start our trip!

Great pictures of the family and kids learning how to fish!!
Reminds me of years ago on a trip with friends, their kids and my 4 towheaded kids. Caught stripers early AM on topwaters. While cleaning them,
we pulled shad out of their bellies, and gave them to the kids to cut up and use for bait. They in turn caught more stripers, catfish and a largemouth or two. We couldn't keep up with the catch rate, so they had to release bunches of fish to keep the fillet team from exhaustion!
Great times and priceless memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back