National Geographic Funded - Glen Canyon Rediscovered Film

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were interviewed for this project but our talking points in support of Lake Powell and the recreational value it provides for millions of people were ignored. Didn't fit in with their theme of "mourning".

If they cared so much about the Cathedral of the Desert....they missed their opportunity back in 2005. In regards to Lake Powell they complained about the wind, that there was too much rock and water, silence and mud. Such a miserable experience...

Glen Canyon Rediscovered Film

http://www.glencanyonrediscovered.org/

I get it, I love all the aspects of Glen Canyon aside from the amazing fishing. And it is unfortunate, and a fact that part of pre-existing Glen have been covered, but its sad that their devout attempt at mourning and being progressive blinds them from all the wonderful aspects of Glen Canyon that are still more than present.

"There aren't really any sounds, out on the reservoir. Its a place where very little can survive..." Taylor must be on a different reservoir than the one I've been fishing my whole life.

Thanks for posting the well done and passionately produced video. It is important for all to understand the passion that is out there for Glen Canyon and for the showpiece which was Cathedral in the Desert before Lake Powell existed. It is real and I understand the passion. However in 1963 I was still in High School and no one contacted me about building the dam. Now 55 years later, what is the right thing to do?

We have a reservoir in place which allows water to be used by so many in the West. Is that a good thing? I know there are millions of people that depend on that water for homes, cities and agriculture. Right now we need this lake for many in the western US to survive. We will find out more how that works if we have another dry winter or 3 or 4 in a row. I pray it does not go that way.

My belief is that we cannot drain the lake without a positive plan to control water use and provide adequate water to all. I do not see that part of the plan in the philosophy of those that would like to drain the lake. It really needs to be there. I will have to look closer to see if it is there and can be productive. Again, if drought continues then all the water in the West declines. No matter which plan is followed there needs to be adequate water on an annual basis for people to live.

While we are waiting for all that to play out, we can enjoy Lake Powell scenery, camping, fishing, kayaking, hiking and remembering the good times that were had with friends and family in the past back to 1964. The numbers of visitors using Lake Powell now are in the millions, while the number of hikers and kayakers would be in the thousands.

If they had asked me in 1963 I think I would have voted for Lake Powell.

If they cared so much about the Cathedral of the Desert....they missed their opportunity back in 2005. In regards to Lake Powell they complained about the wind, that there was too much rock and water, silence and mud. Such a miserable experience...

Glen Canyon Rediscovered Film

http://www.glencanyonrediscovered.org/[/QUOTE]

Here is a pic from April, 2005, when the water was 155 feet down.
Tifffrank cathedral April 2005.jpg

I love Lake Powell. So many great trips, amazing fishing. But I do not think the end result will come out well. I hope I am wrong, but the decision making behind creating such a gigantic reservoir backing up such a relatively small over-allocated river, carrying a tremendous load of sediment, is questionable. The project is pretty recent, compared to other federal dams, but the issues questioning the long term viability arose immediately. It is ironic, that it was only built during the era that big government, spending huge amounts of taxpayer dollars, was OK. It would never past the sniff test now.

I always feel ambivalent. The reservoir is beautiful, superficially. But wander from camp, you find trash sunken in the muck, dried from the constantly changing water levels. Muck, dead carp, mussels. Noxious, non-native weeds fill the expanses of dried sediment. Once you get above the high water mark, the tamerisk and other weeds immediately disappear. Should the dam have ever been built? Probably not. but I am not wishing for its demise and will continue to enjoy it.....

I try to stay out of these emotional radical discussions but I have to wonder how many people have enjoyed lake Powell’s sights since the dam was finished? I am sure it is in the multi millions. How many people have seen rainbow bridge alone that never would have or could have without the lake. People forget how difficult it was to reach this beautiful scenery before the dam. It is beyond my comprehension that it should “Go away”. One of the reasons for the dam was to collect the mud and silt and it has served that purpose. This talk about draining LP seems so ridiculous to me it is beyond my mental reasoning. Please enlighten me I guess. I too would have voted for it and would today as well.

Last edited:
I just want the world to be a happy place. In the mean time I will complain about everything that is not to my liking. Powell is the new reality, now what we do determines our view of its existence. As for me I will go fishing, watch the otters. see hawks snatch fish from the water, wonder why the coyotes are swimming, take pictures of the bighorn. I lived in Page for ten years and after awhile the bridge represented the opening of new country. No way could more than a few people venture into this area before the dam. A few hardy souls that were in the right place at the right time. One can pick any "new" development and lament the negative. What is the solution? Go fishing. My mother once suggested that those who complain about the bath tub ring be given the opportunity to get in boats and start scrubbing. At some point those people would become converts to the positive things Powell offers. Scrubbing or boating? Not to hard to see where that ends.

I feel very sad for this expedition. They went on a wonderful trip with lots of beauty surrounding them. They did not appear to relish the experience rather they lamented it. They missed out on mile upon mile of great wonder. It appeared to me they took the trip to mourn for those that may have seen Glen Canyon prior to Lake Powell. In that mindset, they chose not to understand the benefit or beauty as it has existed for more than their entire life. In my humble opinion, they missed the facts that where ever humans have a presence nature is no longer the same. As an example the rooms they stayed in, the airports they used, the highways they traveled did not exist until humans built them. We are here on Earth must be good stewards of the resources that are available to us. Glen Canyon Dam has made us a recreation area, habitat for other species and been harnessed for the good of all in the region. Groups like this and individuals need to get a grip on reality. Again very sad that they did not recognize the adventure they took should have been a celebration and not a mourning process.

Should the dam have been built?

I gather that the:
Reasons for "NO"
  1. Humans are pigs and they create garbage wherever they go so, we should make it harder for people to go places.
  2. It causes sediment to form and kinda reverses the millions of years of erosion naturally causing the canyons in the first place... Potayto, Potahto.
  3. It was expensive.
Reasons for "YES"
  1. It moderates the flood and drought caused massive fluctuations in river flows so as to make much more of the water usable in this arid Southwest. Every foot up OR down is the dam doing its job by helping to prevent the waste of the precious water, those high flow flushes notwithstanding.
  2. It provides renewable power in spades and isn't that "renewable power" catch phrase all the rage nowadays?
  3. As a byproduct it provides millions of people a year the opportunity to see some of this nations most magnificent scenery without having to be a hardcore river runner or desert rat with good technical climbing skills. Reference #1 in "Reasons for "NO.""
Personally I believe the Southwest sorely needs what the Hoover and Glen Canyon Dams provide.
Having said that, I also believe that as with anything, 'the need will expand to meet the resources available.' No bout a doubt it.

FWIW,
Goblin

Last edited:
My FIL was a geologist and tasked with the search for uranium before the dam. He hates the memory of working there. Recalls it as the most desolate uninhabitable place on the face of the earth. But he has enjoyed a few boat rides with us. He says it makes it bearable that way. Lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the good fortune and opportunity to run rivers both privately and commercially. My opinion is that the thrill of running whitewater is a major factor for both the pro and private river runners and “tourists”. Most folks (again my opinion) like to float, enjoy the scenery and adrenaline rush, and then relax at the end of the river day. Camp tenders and guides usually stay in camp unless is is just to get away from clientele. Lots of private runs by pros and individuals take advantage of longer hikes and a freer party time atmosphere. A few short hikes are enjoyed by those clients who are physically fit and motivated to get out of camp. After the lake was formed; The beauty is still there and more accessible than ever motoring up the canyons. The adrenaline rush and enjoyment is still there in hooking a fish, playing in the water, or watching your kids learn to play, fish and camp responsibly. The access for the enjoyment of all the before mentioned things is available to an exponential number of people compared to the few who have the means to float a river. We will always have people who will trash something, bash something, contaminate something, or act selfishly and impact others.

My FIL was a geologist and tasked with the search for uranium before the dam. He hates the memory of working there. Recalls it as the most desolate uninhabitable place on the face of the earth. But he has enjoyed a few boat rides with us. He says it makes it bearable that way. Lol

A good book to read on this is called "White Canyon," by Tom McCourt. It talks about the people who lived in White Canyon during the uranium boom. In fact, all of Tom McCourt's books are good reads. ;)

Tiff

Thanks for the suggestion Tiff, my dad worked for an exploratory driller in the Red Canyon area in the late 50's. I'm going to check that book out as a gift for him and see if he remembers any of those people/places. We still prefer Farley/White Canyon to any other part of the lake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back