My Winter Solstice Run - Updated with Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reed

Update: I added a video from this trip. I am disappointed with the video quality. I had a hard time with it for some reason. Hope you still enjoy it.

So I really wanted to do something unique this year to celebrate the sunshine coming back. I decided to do something I had never done before.

So..... at 7:00 am Friday the 21st I left Wahweap on my Aquatrax. Yes it was a little chilly. My plan was to ride to Bullfrog and back on the shortest day of the year. I went through the cut, and at times my finder read 1 1/2 feet deep. No problem for me. I arrived at the Bullfrog Gas Dock at 10:21 am. I used 12.4 gallon gas of gas. So even though I had carried extra fuel I didn't need it as my ski holds 16 gallons. I then headed back which included a short ride up Lake Canyon and also Music Temple. I arrived at the Dam via Antelope Point Marina about 3:00 PM. It was an amazing solo trip. By the way I did not see one other boat the entire trip up and back. I really enjoyed the challenge.
I did not take time to fish as I was pretty tired by the time I got back to the ramp
However, the next day at Lone Rock I caught 27 stripers on spoons. I Love this Lake!20181221_103621.jpg20181221_123526.jpg20181221_084056.jpg20181221_145726.jpg20181221_103810.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Reed, nice ride! I've done that in my Whaler, also in mid winter, a lot slower and a lot more fuel, definitely not warm, Good Job, fun.

Nice, been boating Powell 36 yrs and fall is our favorite time. always go 1st week in November.
fishing great, will see maybe 1 boat per day.thanx for sharing.

Congrats on a successful ride. Can you give us more details about the 27 stripers caught at Lone Rock? Depth, fish condition, size of fish, etc.

Congrats on a successful ride. Can you give us more details about the 27 stripers caught at Lone Rock? Depth, fish condition, size of fish, time of day, etc.

About 100 feet from the east side of Lone Rock 42 to 60 feet 11:00 am until about 1:30. I stopped because my small ice chest was full not because they stopped hitting. I used a 3/4 oz silver Cotton Cordell spoon.

Fish were all on the smaller size biggest being about 23" all were fat except 4 that I dispatched. I was surprised to catch that many with the full moon and all. Usually I don't do so well after a full moon. Maybe they were all just as anxious as I am for the days to start getting longer. 20181222_105553.jpg20181222_102604.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
About 100 feet from the east side of Lone Rock 42 to 60 feet 11:00 am until about 1:30. I stopped because my small ice chest wad full not because they stopped hitting. I used a 3/4 oz silver Cotton Cordell spoon.

Fish were all on the smaller size biggest being about 23" all were fat except 4 that I dispatched. I was surprised to catch that many with the full moon and all. Usually I don't do so well after a full moon. Maybe they were all just as anxious as I am for the days to start getting longer. View attachment 3709View attachment 3710
Reed, I laid in bed last night thinking about your trip and I have to say congratulations, that is impressive.

That is awesome! Did you ever determine your fuel mileage? I had two 2007 F12X Aquatrax turbos, and it seemed like If I could keep the speed at 39, which was right before the turbo kicked in, I could go all day.

I'll bet they were impressed and shocked at the BF gas dock.... We were down in Jan, mid 80's, and went to Hall's for fuel--- they were shocked….

I'll bet they were impressed and shocked at the BF gas dock.... We were down in Jan, mid 80's, and went to Hall's for fuel--- they were shocked….

There was a sign on the fuel dock door for service call on channel 16 and they would come down and turn the pumps on. At least I got to use my radio. They were surprised that I had come up from Wahweap and they were very nice. First customer of the day.

Reed, that is sooo cool! (pun not intended) Thanks for sharing!!

Being curious, could you provide more information on the logistics/planning? i.e. average speed you traveled, clothing layers, how much extra gas you carried just in case (even though you didn't need it)? Also, did you have an emergency plan if you got stranded mid-lake with a mechanical problem, etc? -Doug

I have been looking out my front window to Wahweap Bay and the last 2 days have mostly been glass smooth out there (all though we did get rain today) but high 40s in temp. At my age I ain't gonna do what he did but what he did was pretty cool for a challenge. Have done Antelope Marina to Halls and back in a day (summer) in a 19 ft outboard delivering 2 tons of ballast for a house boat. Makes for a long day. Unloaded all the ballast also.

Reed,

You're the man! What a great trip! What was your typical cruising speed? My guess is about 35-ish. Thanks for sharing your tale. I suppose you had dozens of us WW folks sorta with you as you took your trip. I did that same run in July, and I probable saw 40,000 boats. On glass, no boats, pure solitude, on liquid ice, your trip sounds like a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back